Bonding Chaos

Shadow pov-

My eyes narrowed as I entered the building, recognising that most of the base had gone home for the night judging by the near-empty lobby. The absence of people brought relief to me as I headed towards the office, knowing that fewer people meant fewer potential witnesses unless he had to get ugly with the commander, which was the last thing he wanted to do. He had to try, though, for Sonic’s sake.

Taking a calming breath, I scanned my ID and continued to the Commander’s office. The lady sitting at reception eyed me suspiciously. I turned and she yelped, ducking her head as she stared at her computer screen with a nervous expression.

Rolling my eyes, I entered the elevator and rode to the top floor of the building, cursing the commander’s cautious measures. The human had always been cautious and paranoid about his safety and made it so the elevator was the only way to get to the top floor, where his office resides. It’s so that he could prevent anyone from gaining access without his knowledge. The elevator was always too small, too enclosed for his tastes, causing him to frown. He hated that the man had full control of the building he was in when he wanted to.

He was relieved when the doors finally dinged open and the familiar double doors entered my vision. ‘Good to know the Commander wasn’t mad enough to plummet me into the basement, this time,’ I thought bitterly as I knocked on the door.

“Come in,” his gruff voice ordered from the other side of the door. I opened it, peaking inside, before letting it go the rest of the way. There was no one inside, and I preferred it that way. Once I was inside, I quickly shut the door behind me.

"I've come to report," I started briefly, waiting for his response as he turned around in his chair.

"Ah, Agent Shadow, what did you find out from the town?" He asked, lacing his fingers together and leaning forward. His hydrophobic eyes trained on my form. 

I stood straighter. “The town is abandoned, sir. I couldn’t find many clues as to where the people went… It was like they all vanished overnight. Everything was still in order though, like they never left. Food was set out on the tables, beds were made, some fireplaces still burnt,” I informed, mulling over the information, once again, myself. It just didn’t make sense. I couldn’t wrap my head around what had happened to the people. Where did they go in a hurry that some even left their shoes?

“That is very unsettling, indeed. I will inform the police of this development, although there is little we can do with this information,” he concluded, a hint of annoyance seeping into his voice. I winced, knowing I couldn’t reveal more information. “And what of my daughter?” He pressed, apprehensive.

My breath caught and I ducked my head slightly. I felt sorry for him. I knew what it was like to lose a loved one, even if his daughter may be alive. The uncertainty was unbearable. “I’m sorry, sir, but there was no sign of her, anywhere. I’m afraid she, too, has vanished alongside everyone else,” I explained, feeling sympathy for this man grow in my chest. Even though his father was the one who made my life a living hell, he wasn’t the same. He had actually exhibited me kindness from time to time, regardless of his occasional outbursts. He was not a bad man, but it didn’t mean he was a great one either. Human’s made countless mistakes and was emotional to a point. He couldn’t hold a grudge for the way they were designed to be. Their actions afterwards are what counted. That showed the true colours of a person. It had taken him a long time to see this.

An expression of hurt flashed across his face before it smoothed out in a solemn one. I ducked my head, empathising with him. I had failed him and deserved the verbal attack that he had every right to carry out. But he held it back and took a calming breath.