Along Came Hop

It had been a long taxi ride to the busy metropolis that was Motostoke City. The Corviknight Taxi had flown them there with an hour to spare. After exiting the taxi, Aiden tipped the driver and waved to him as he flew. Turning around, he saw that he'd been dropped right in front of the stadium like he'd asked. 

        "It's been a while since you've been out of the alley, huh pal?" Aiden said as he glanced up at the towering stadium before him. 

        "You ain't kiddin'! I can't remember the last time I flew through this place!" Rookidee exclaimed, head on a swivel as he looked around at the familiar city. "So what's next, do we just find a random bloke off the street and start fightin'?"

        "That's not exactly how it works here. You have almost zero battle experience so jumping headfirst into a fight would only result in you getting your butt handed to you on a silver platter. We gotta build up a good team and get you some practice in before taking anyone on in a real battle," Aiden explained. 

        "Shoot, and here I thought I was gonna see some action right away," Rookidee mumbled, his excited mood deflating a little. 

        "Not to worry bud, we'll get there. We just need to get through with this ceremony and pick up our pokéballs and dex from Professor Magnolia. After that we can start the fun," Aiden said, grinning. 

        "Alright, what are we waitin' for!? let's get in there already!" 

        "Easy there pal, registration isn't for another forty-five minutes. We should go check-in at the hotel first since that's where everyone else is going to be afterwards," Aiden informed his feathered friend. 

        "How do you know that?" Rookidee asked curiously.

        "Because that hotel has hosted the Gym Challengers since the league began. It's the most renown hotel in all of Galar. It's known for it's excellent room service and chef-made meals from the best restaurants around. The trainers who get sponsored are able to stay for free, and since we have a sponsorship now we can do just that," Aiden clarified. 

        Coming to an agreement, the duo made their way through the bustling streets of the second largest city in Galar. As they approached the Budew Drop Inn, they came upon a young man with short purple hair and golden eyes. He wore a blue jean jacket with yellow fluff around the neck, wrist and waist areas. He wore black skinny jeans and grey and white shoes. On his back was a green bag. 

        "Welcome to the Budew Drop Inn, are you perhaps one of the Gym Challengers?" a man wearing a Macro Cosmos uniform asked the young teen. 

        "I most certainly am. You're looking at the next League Champion right here!" the boy declared, crossing his arms with a grin. 

        "The next League Champion eh? isn't it a little too soon to be saying that?" the man asked with a nervous laugh. 

        "Of course it isn't! I'm Lee's brother after all. Champion blood runs through my veins which means I'm destined to be next!" the boy proclaimed. 

        "Ah, that's right, Leon did mention he'd endorsed his little brother along with another young girl for the gym challenge. Come to think of it, she was just here a little while ago," the man shrugged. 

        "That's Gloria for ya. Anyway, here's my Trainer Card," the boy said with a bright smile. 

        The man took the ID and verified that it was indeed belonging to a Gym Challenger. Handing it back, the man stepped aside and allowed the boy to pass.