Chapter 1: Showers

SHOWERS. They have got to be the best remedy for bad days.

When the water is just right, there is no reason to leave. Except for the threat of imminent pruning.

I feel the water slightly burning my body, but I don't really care because it feels so good. This shower was very much needed – and yes – it has to be blazing hot for it to count. Showers are truly a safe space for me. Also the place where I do my best thinking. No matter how bad my day has been, I can count on one to relieve my stress – at least temporarily.

As the water soothes my muscles, my mind starts drifting and I think about how absolutely unproductive I was today. Thursdays are my one day off from lectures and I usually like to use the time to complete weekly quizzes and get ahead in studying.

I can't even recall what I did today but there was just a sense of heaviness I couldn't get over. I think I was able to get half of an assignment done but that was about it. I spent the rest of the time endlessly scrolling through law school forums trying to situate where my applications stand. I still haven't heard anything back and I applied early.

The reality that I am in my fourth year of university starts to set in. How did the years go by this fast?? As I get older, time seems to be moving lightning speed.

I think I made most of my time here, as well as I could have at least. University really does transform you. People who say high school are the best four years are just plain wrong.

I am exceptionally introverted to the point where it isn't even believable. I came to the school that was voted the number one party school of the country and yet I have probably been to all of two.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a social person... when I want to be. I just don't thrive in that sort of setting. Alone time is very much needed for me to recharge.

I've had a tough time finding like-minded people here. If it weren't for Jane – my social butterfly best friend- I probably wouldn't have made any friends at all. 

I know it's time to get out of the shower when the water starts to get colder.

After my shower I slightly blow dry my hair and comb through it a little. While looking in the mirror I notice that my dark circles have become especially stark. It looks like I took some brown eyeshadow and layered it all over my eyes. I make a mental note to buy some of that orange colour corrector stuff.

I'm Indian but I feel that I have become slightly pasty over the years due to crippling amounts of homework limiting my "outside time". Any time I have discolouration it is very visibly apparent. I should really get some more sun because y.i.k.e.s.

s