CHAPTER 4

One of the perks of being an almost-but-not-quite divinity was being able to find people without too much effort. Eon Jin might not be an omniscient being, but she knew where and who to ask.

"Were you pertaining to the good-looking investigator from the other district?" the grim reaper asked, a naughty smile playing on her lips.

Eon Jin flicked her hand in the air, as if brushing off a cobweb only she could see.

"Sure, Hyo Jin, sure. If you said so," she reluctantly agreed.

It was a chilly morning a week after she met Kim Tae Pyung. Eon Jin was having sweet chamomile tea with the grim reaper - the one who was with her at the site of the recent construction accident - in the indoor garden of her rooftop home after completing another morning assignment.

Out of all the grim reapers she worked with, including the other mythical entities she came to know in the past three hundred and seventeen years, only Hyo Jin was able to forge something that resembled a friendship with Eon Jin. Aside from the fact that she became a grim reaper at around the same time Eon Jin was given her punishment, Hyo Jin was also the only one who was never intimidated by the mistress' persona.

"So, can you tell me more about this Kim Tae Pyung?" Eon Jin casually asked as she placed her cup down.

Hyo Jin leaned back on the wooden chair and crossed her legs as she tried to recall if there were other things about this Kim Tae Pyung she had knowledge of.

"I don't really know a lot about him, other than he's really popular among the lady grim reapers," she replied. "Whenever we have a violent crime case, everyone - even the middle-aged women - signs up to get deployed in a snap. They're crazy about him, it's just unbelievable. "

Eon Jin nodded in understanding. She knew this was credible information since Hyo Jin was already up in the ranks of grim reapers, but this wasn't exactly the details she needed.

"I'll personally look into it, if you want," Hyo Jin proposed. "But you have to let me know what this is about, Eon Jin. You are not the type who asks around for a person's background just because."

Eon Jin ran her fingers through her hair as she contemplated if, for the first time, she really wanted to share this piece of personal information to Hyo Jin. Even though they were already congenial, hanging out from time to time and having frequent conversations, Eon Jin still had her walls up.

"I met him a week ago," she cautiously replied after much thought, although pretending like nothing significant happened during her encounter with the man. "He asked me a few questions about the hit-and-run, if I saw the culprit... the works. Do you recall the foiled plot I mentioned to you last time?"

Hyo Jin looked thoughtful for a bit and nodded.

"He got into my nerves for some reason," Eon Jin admitted while her fingers kept tracing the handle of the white teapot on her side of the table.

"Ah, our moody mistress as always," Hyo Jin quipped as she took a sip of her tea. "You could have gone incognito if you didn't want to be bothered with questions."

"I was incognito," Eon Jin shrugged.

Hyo Jin could not believe what she just heard that she had to ask Eon Jin again.

"I was sure I switched to my demigod persona before I went there," Eon Jin explained with a voice hinting distress. "I always follow the routine and never once did I forget to change disguises before and after I carry out my tasks. Other than that, the paramedics who came to the site of the accident did not see me at all, or else they would have asked me too. But this man actually did!"