Fifteen

Putting on the second earring, Jessica smiled at her reflection in the mirror. She wore a vintage dress that Caleb's mother had given her for tonight.

She was extremely nervous about what was yet to come. Caleb was going to ascend, and Chase wanted his powers. Caleb didn't want Jessica to be near the barn, so she was getting ready to go to the prom. Jesse couldn't leave him. She couldn't lose him again, after getting him back.

She walked down the stairs. She could hear Caleb speak to his mother as she made her way down.

"You can't do this alone. Take the others," Caleb's mother said, worrying about her son.

"I can't do that, he will hurt them. He said if I went with anyone, he would kill my friends and family, including you," Caleb replied.

Chase had prepared everything ideally to make his plan work. It was useless to go against Caleb. There was nothing or no one that was going to be able to change his mind.

"We have to speak to your father."

"No! You know what will happen," Caleb responded.

Caleb's mother was desperate. She didn't want to lose her only son. She knew the danger he was about to face. She knew that Caleb's father was the only one that could save him. Caleb understood that if his father died, it would mean that he would gain his powers. He didn't want that. He didn't want his father to die, so he could win the war against Chase.

His father was still alive. He was addicted to the power, which made him aged with each use. Even though he was not the same person he was before, he was still his father, and Caleb couldn't bear the thought of losing him.

"Where is Jessica?" Caleb asked, looking at his mother. Holding a glass of wine, Caleb's mother turned her attention to the chimney in front of her.

"She is upstairs. I do not know why you had to put her through this," Caleb's mother responded, looking at her son.

"I know, mother, but she was already involved. I can't change the past. He is using her and all of you to get to me," Caleb explained.

"We will be with her at all cost," Reid said, standing up from the chair he was previously sitting.

"This is going to stop tonight," Caleb said. Then, he heard the small footsteps coming from down the stairs. Jessica walked down. Caleb blinked more than one time as he saw how beautiful Jess looked.

Entering the living room, she smiled.

"You look beautiful," Caleb whispered in her ear with a warm smile. She blushed. "Thank you."

Caleb kissed Jessica's lips softly. He stopped and stared at her.

"I have always loved you," he said, making her heart race harder. Her face was all red. She wanted to forget about everything wrong they were going through and just live the rest of her life with the boy in front of her, but knowing he was set on fighting Chase meant there was a chance he was going to lose his powers, and live to tell the tale, or worst, die in the process.

Not thinking about the latter, she shook her head slightly and stared into Caleb's eyes.

"I love you," she whispered.

After a moment, Caleb reminded everyone about the plans.

"Take her to the dance and wait for my call," Caleb ordered to Reid and Tyler. As soon as the four of them stepped outside Caleb's house, they went their separate ways.

***

Reid, Tyler, and Jessica arrived at the dance. The ballroom of the school looked perfect and beautiful. Jessica wasn't too happy to be there without Caleb. Not seeing Kate or her brother reminded her of the situation, all of them faced.

She walked alongside with Reid to the table where the refreshments were. Tyler smiled as he saw Dawn walked towards them.

"Hey, I'm glad you guys could make it," Dawn expressed, standing next to Tyler. Everyone smiled. Jessica tried to act like there was nothing wrong, but it was almost impossible to do it. She almost felt like if someone was staring at her. She looked around, but she only saw the regular students that attended Spencer Academy and the staff that was chaperoning the event.

Reid's phone went off when Jessica was taking a sip of her punch.

"Hello, man," Reid answered the phone.

Reid gave the phone to Jessica, and she knew it was Caleb.

"Hey, are you alright?" she asked, worried.

"I am. Chase hasn't shown up yet. Has he shown up there?"

"No, we haven't seen him. Caleb, be careful, please,"

"I will. Please tell Reid not to do anything stupid if Chase is there," Caleb responded.

"I love you, Jessica," Caleb said. She smiled. Even though she knew he wasn't looking, she blushed. It was inevitable. She loved him.

"I love you too," she responded before they both hung up the phone. Jessica gave Reid the phone.

"I need to go to the restroom," she told Reid and Tyler. They both followed her and waited outside the door. She walked inside. The bathroom was empty. She needed to splash her face with water because the wait was driving her anxious.

She didn't want her vision to come true. She didn't want Caleb to lose his powers, but there was never a moment in which her images failed.

She turned the faucet off. She walked to where the napkins were. When she was about to grab one to dry her face, she felt two arms grab her from behind. Sensing the presence of something beyond evil, her heart started to pace in a faster rhythm.

Not needing to turn around, she knew who the force of darkness was. Chase covered her mouth with one hand and trapped her arms with the other.

"Shh, I hate to do this, but I don't really trust your boyfriend, so you'll be my leverage," Chase explained. That was the last thing Jessica remembered before everything went completely dark.