chapter 1

DAY 1
the start of a new relationship

"It's June 15th, that means it's been exactly 43 days." I state out. A blonde girl stood in front of me, her brown eyes looking down. 

"Have you really been keeping track of the time left?" She whispers, tears brimming. I didn't have the heart to tell her that she had been overly clingy even after she promised not to leach off of my arm.

"Not really. The constant notifications on my bracelet kept track of the time left." I answer, keeping my tone as neutral as possible.

"I-I- t-thi-think I l-love you." She stutters out. At this statement, my head snaps towards her direction.

It was time to shut this down fast.

"Hate to break it to you, Lizzie, but I don't have any feelings for you. Zero. Zilch. Nada. I tried my best to be nice to you but clearly that isn't working out. This whole thing is a game, and I don't plan on falling in love. Ever." I say. Her eyes fill up with tears and before I knew it, they began to fall.

"How c-could you be this c-coldhearted?!" She yells, her tears and anger beginning to draw a small crowd.

"I wish you better luck in your next relationship." With that being said, I walked away from the sobbing girl.

I said the same thing every time a relationship ended. No emotions. No feelings.

Everything was simple.

* * *

Wandering through the halls, I twiddle with my bracelet as I try to avoid the crowds in hopes to postpone my next relationship. A new relationship wouldn't start until I would be within 3 feet of my next partner.

Even though I knew that the truth was inevitable, I wanted to hold it off for as long as possible.

This whole, always being in a relationship, idea in Amadeus is stupid. Whoever came up with the idea was either a bored as hell old man or a loner who just wanted to play matchmaker constantly.

Not to mention, the only way to break this stupid cycle is just as stupid.

True love?

As if that exists.

As far as I'm aware, no relationship has ever followed the "'til death do us part." 

My parents? Divorced a week after I was born.

Now? They're back to this cycle of trying to find true love but with older and wrinklier partners of course.

Whoever came up with this idea clearly didn't think it through because they made the goal impossible.

Pft. It's just a whole waste of time.

As I was deep in my thoughts, a girl bumped into me, dropping the stack of books in her arms and causing me to drop the bracelet I was playing around with.

"What the hell?" I exclaim. Geez, what a ditz.

"I'm so sorry!" She rushes out, dropping to her knees to try to gather up the books she had dropped. Great, if I was lucky, my bracelet would be so shattered that I wouldn't be able to receive my next match.

"What is your deal?" I ask when she stands back up. She had brown hair that was pulled back in a messy bun, two strands pulled out to frame her face. Her eyes were a typical brown, and her clothes were the same as any average high school girl. 

"Sorry, sorry, I wasn't looking! My friends always called me clumsy, but I always brushed it off haha." She chuckles nervously, dusting off her skinny jeans and adjusting her glasses.

"My bracelet?"

"Huh?"

"My bracelet." I say, pointing at my bracelet that was lying on the hallway ground.

"Uh, you want me to pick it up for you?" She questions, giving me a confused look.

"Of course I do. You bumped into me and caused me to drop my bracelet, the least you could do is pick it up." I answer like it was the most obvious answer.

"O-oh, okay." With a quick swipe, she scoops my bracelet off of the ground. As soon as she places it on the palm of my hand, it suddenly began to vibrate.

ALERT: new relationship with SERAPHINA WELDON
Time: 14 DAYS

"You're my next partner?" I ask, my voice a mix of disbelief and disgust.

"What do you mean?" She wonders. Suddenly, her bracelet buzzes as well. She sticks her arm out and turns it so the screen faces her, seeing the same alert as I do; except instead of Seraphina Weldon, Lucas Carver was displayed on her screen.

"14 days? That's only two weeks!" She exclaims, pressing the back of her palm against her forehead.

"Yeah, there's no point." I answer.

"What do you mean there's no point? The goal of this is to find true love!" She chirps, her eyes suddenly lighting up at the mention of love. 

"If a couple can't find true love in months, how do you expect us to find true love in 14 days?" I ask, resisting the urge to roll my eyes right in her face.

"Can we at least try though?" She pleads.

"Fine, but it'll be pointless."

If only it was.