chapter 2

DAY 1
in a relationship with SERAPHINA WELDON

After bumping into my next match in the hallway, literally, the rest of my day went on uneventfully. It wasn't until lunch when the slightest thing happened.

"God, I hate school." Dean mumbles. With a loud plop, he sits down next to me and drops his tray of disgusting food onto the table.

"Rough day?" I ask with a chuckle, sipping my soda casually. 

"You have no idea." He sighs.

"Bet. There's no way it's worse than mine." 

"I woke up early to take Susan on that breakfast date she's been nagging for me to take her out on. When we got there, she took a glance at the menu and said, 'This restaurant isn't vegan! What were you thinking?' To make matters worse, she threw the menu onto the ground, yelled at the waitress' leather skirt, and demanded to see the manager." Dean explains tiringly.

Susan was Dean's partner for the next 39 days. The reason why I knew the exact day was because Dean had a whole countdown for it. According to him, Susan was the definition of a Karen.

"So much for trying to be the gentleman," I chuckle while he rolls his eyes, "I had to end my relationship with Lizzie today, and right as I do, she full on tells me that she's in love with me. And that's not all. My next match literally ran into me and turns out she's a complete loser who actually believes in true love and wants to put effort into a 2 week long relationship."

"Damn, maybe your day has gone worse than mine." Dean concludes.

"So, what do I get?" I ask cheekily.

"You get... my lunch!" He exclaims, shoving his tasteless meal towards me.

"Yeah... I think I'll pass on this one."

* * *

Once the bell rings, I quickly pack up the things I have on my desk and leave. As I'm walking to the parking lot to drive home, a girl approaches me. Her features seemed familiar, but I couldn't place my finger on it.

"Hey, Lucas!" She chirps. 

"Who are you?" I ask.

"I'm Seraphina, your match, remember?" She replies. So that's why her features seemed familiar.

"What do you want? If you couldn't tell, I'm about to go home." I sigh. Why couldn't she take a hint and leave me alone?

"I was wondering, do you like ice cream?" She asks.

"If I answer the question, would you leave me alone?" Is all I respond with.

"I don't know, maybe," She grins, "Answer the question and find out."

"Fine, I do like ice cream. Happy?"

"Okay great! Now come with me!" In a second, she grips onto my arm and drags me across the parking lot.

"Hey, what are you doing? Let go of my arm, crazy woman!" I shout. She seems to be deaf because she doesn't bother loosening her grip. After what feels like forever, she pulls me all the way to... 

...my car?

"Drive." She says, pointing at my car.

"What?"