prologue

"Haven't you heard already? The City of Gems has been destroyed!"

"What! No way! You mean Padparadscha? The entire kingdom!?"

The bartender seemed to catch wind of the bustling table's hushed discussion, gravitating towards the group like a phantom.

"Oh yes.. The entire kingdom! In one night it was burned to ashes! Not even the rare gems have been left behind!" The bartender spoke, eyes wide and lively as he recalled the tale.

"Impossible!" The first man retorted, setting his glass down with a little too much force. "The city was made of rare gems! Those gems can't simply burn!"

"I think those were all snatched by beggars before anyone could get to the scene.." The second sighed wistfully, as if he'd missed some sort of opportunity.

"No! You are wrong my friend! It was not beggars nor any scavenger that wiped the city clean! Something.. Much worse.." The bartender's magnetic voice aroused the attention of many in the room, some heads turning to watch while others strained their ears to listen.

"Well- out with it then! What happened!" The second man shouted, angered by bartender's dramatic pause.

"The City of Gems was wiped from the map from none other than the prince himself!"

Gaps and whispers exploded through the sea of strangers, expressions ranging from shock to disgust.

"Sir.. how do you know for sure?" The first man asked unsurely, hoping that the bartenders words were lies. After all, the Prince of Gems was famous for his cool-headed and noble qualities. He was a prince carved out of the rare gems the city held, completely perfect and honorable as any prince should be.

"Friend.. I'm sad to say it's the truth.. In one night the Kingdom was wiped from the earth using wicked sorcery! The Prince used evil magic to do his bidding, so he could kill the king and take the throne!"

Some people had stood and walked over, forming a circle around the bartender and the table.

"But why is the whole kingdom destroyed?" A random newcomer piped in.

"Ah, see, the foolish Prince underestimated the power of wicked sorcery and lost control! Passerbys said the sky was lit by purple flames while the air rang with the sound of screams!"

The crows took a step back in shock at the bartender's sudden shout, eyes wide with fear. How could the noble Prince do something so horrible?!

"Sir.. how can you prove it was the prince that performed the spell?"

"Good question friend... Come close now all of you.." He beckoned the crowd with his hands, eyes glittering with excitement that mirrored the crowds anxiousness to find out the secret. Once Everyone was close, the bartender spoke in a hushed voice, "there was.. One sole survivor.. A passing merchant saw the Prince wield the flames himself!!"

"What?!! No way!" The crowd spoke in hushed whispers. Someone clamored in the back, "It's true! I've heard this before! The Prince's eyes were glowing with malice!" People started to chime in with so-called additions to the story. "Yes! And what's more.. I think he is still alive now!"

"He could be in the city now!"

"What if he tries to do the same here!"

"He can't be left alive!"

"Someone ought to chase him down and kill the menace!"

"Death to the Prince of Gems!"

"Bah! Prince? More like Scum!"