The Moment You Meet Plain Jane

“Whenever life sucks, remember you're going to die someday. So, any day above ground is a good day.”

   What word would you describe your life in? Some would say good. Some would say great! Other answers may be darker. I, Janie Thompson, would probably sum up my life as 'boring' or perhaps 'soring' a combo of boring and a little sad.

   "Hey! Janie! Come on snap out of it!" I snapped awake and realise that I had fallen asleep in class! I hadn't gotten much sleep last night, because I had been up watching Lilly's Life. It was my favorite show of all time! It was mostly based off American life.

   "Sorry! It's not my fault Mrs. Hernandez's lessons are so boring!" I say embarrassed. Samantha shakes her head and replies "I know you were really up watching that cartoon thing! Don't even try to lie to me!"

   Samantha just doesn't understand! Lilly's Life is a great show and if I want to be honest with myself a great escape from everyday boring life. The main character Lilly was beautiful, smart, kind, brave, and her life was so interesting! Everything I wish my life was. (She also had boy falling at her feet which WAS a great plus...)

   "You caught me! But it's soooooo interesting!" I say hoping Samantha will understand. She's almost like a mom which can be annoying at times.

   Samantha shakes her head then says, "Whatever, but I don't want us being late for our next class,"

   I slowly get up then remember that's it's my last period! Then I can watch Lilly's Life while working and then go home to chill and become the true potatoe I am.

   I walk through the sea of black, navy blue, and cream colored students. We all have to wear uniforms which I guess takes stress off of us or whatever, but I don't see the difference.

   The next class is just a boring and when the bell rings I quickly pack my stuff and say bye to Samantha.

   When I'm walking through the halls I almost see someone that looks like Nathaniel from Lilly's Life! That dude would be the perfect cosplay! Nathaniel is one of Lilly's love interests who is also the boy next door type. Too bad they don't make them like that in reality.

   I honestly whish I had a crush it would spice up my life so much! I would get nervous and blush and giggle but then again who would like me? I almost laugh at my silliness!

   I am a plain girl. I have brown shoulder length hair, brown eyes, and a plain face. I'm just the run of the mill girl who is the perfect background character.

   While I'm lost in my thoughts of TV shows and my looks I don't realise that's I'm late for work!

   I work at a McDonald's and I'm the social media manager. Meaning all those funny tweets from fast food places? Yeah I manage that for McDonald's. It's kinda lame but I like it because I get millions of likes I would never get on my personal socials.

   Also another plus for that job is it's basically a get out of jail free card to watch shows on my phone! The limit is to post twice in all the social platforms McDonald's has per week which is really easy! I just chill my whole shift. It's probably the best part of my day plus I get free fries! Like that's even better then the money!

   My shift goes quickly and I drag my feet to go home. I grab a large fry to go and leave.

   When I get home I quietly sneak to my room. I basically pay rent here but my Dad helps a little. I make bank with all the recycle beer bottles he uses. I watch Lilly's Life and try to drown out the crashes and sobs of my dad.

   "Lilly, I-I-I love you..." Nathaniel gasps then the screen fades. The beautiful outro music plays and the credits role. Wow what a cliffhanger! I root for you Nathaniel!

   I go to click next episode but I realise it's not there!? I go to the episode thing and realise I've reached the end of the season! That's good because I was worried that was all the episodes there was! I click next season but nothing pops up!

   Sudden dread fills me as I realise that there are no more episodes of Lilly's Life! I want to cry! My one escape is gone. I guess I could read books or watch something else...

   I turn on something else but it just doesn't feel the same and it just doesn't seem loud enough to drown out the cries of my father as I fall asleep.