True Love, Remedy of Magic

MERLIN'S P.O.V:

I walk into the citadel, a smile on my face. Then I hear the drums, and sight the crowd of people. I hear a man speaking. I look up and come face to face with King Uther Pendragon of Camelot.

"Let this serve as a lesson to all. This man, Thomas James Collins, is judged guilty of conspiring to use enchantments and magic. And, pursuant of the laws of Camelot, I, Uther Pendragon, have decreed that such practices are banned on penalty of death. I pride myself as a fair and just king, but for the crime of sorcery there is but one sentence I can pass." he finished, raising his hand, I, realizing that the axe was rising with it. Then with a swift downward hand motion, the axe cut through the air and the man's neck, beheading him. I heard gasps all around me.

When I came to this land, this kingdom was mired in chaos, but with the people's help magic was driven from the realm. So I declare a festival to celebrate twenty years since the Great Dragon was captured freed from the evil of sorcery. Let the celebrations begin!" Then everybody started to turn away from the sight and the King when a distant wailing was heard. An old woman dissembles herself from the crowd.

"There is only one evil in this land, and it is not magic! It is you! With your hatred and your ignorance! You killed my son! But I promise you, before these celebrations are over, you will share my tears. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, a son for a son." she was starting to speak about murder of the king's son.

Uther recognising this as well, yelled to the guards down on the ground. "Seize her!"

Her eyes flashed gold, and she started to speak in the language of old English, then she was gone in a puff of wind and smoke. Then everybody got back to their usual routine.

I walked up to a guard, hoping that he could help me.

"Where would I find Gaius, the Court Physician?" I asked with what my mother taught me, politeness. I never heard of it to be honest.

The guard points behind him and up some stairs. I thank him, and ascend the stairs and knock on the open door to his chambers and peer inside.

I peer around a little more, to find the chambers empty, probably running some errands. But still, not harmful to check a little more, would it?

"Hello?" I practically whispered, but even that sounded like a yell, as it echoed through the room.

I walk inside to see that it was still empty, but there were herbs hanging from line across the roof, and books on medicine and healing on every shelf you could find. Sleeping draughts, medicine, poison scattered across the room. It truly was a sight for someone who didn't know what they were doing. I caught sight of the man I was looking for, up in the top corner of the room, looking through a couple of books.

"Hello? Gaius?" the man in question, turned his head around, and leaned back just a tinch, and the railing breaks. I instantly feel my magic flowing throughout my body, time slowing enough for me to sweep a mattress under Gaius before he becomes a Gaius pancake. For an old man he could move fairly quick. He was up and off that mattress before you could say "sorcerer".

He looked at me, accusingly. "What did you just do?" he demanded, looking from the railing to the bed, back to the railing and then at me.

"Erm..." I struggled to come up with an excuse.

"Tell me!" Mother was right, he was VERY demanding.

"I... I... I have no idea what happened." I started to stutter, a good sign that I was under pressure and lying. Hopefully I would get better at it.

"If anyone had seen that..." Gaius trailed off, his eyes looking into mine, trying to find out if I really was a sorcerer.

"Er, no! That, that was, that was nothing to do with me. That, that was..." I trailed off and got interrupted by him,