Critical Information

Chapter Two: Critical Information

July 23rd 2031

                The convoy moved strategically in and out of the tree lines, never veering onto the roads for more than a few steps. Each step was as though it had been choreographed by a military grade general. No words were spoken, not even to give orders. If Thatch needed one of the Gunners to know something, he’d give a series of hand signs that were read fluently by the recipient. It was a perfectly oiled machine of a transport.

                In the middle, were two low leveled characters, who had, just moments before, been saved from an embarrassing experience cut. In front of them walked Thatch, and surrounding them in a perfect box formation, were four Gunners.

                Edmond was still, mostly, in a daze about what was happening around him. The events that had occurred couldn’t even be counted on one hand, but the results were astronomical. He kept his eyes forward, watching the convoy’s every move. He didn’t dare say anything. Any sound would have most likely sent the entire outfit into a false alarmed frenzy.

                When the group finally reached the entrance to the first floor’s capital city, Thatch gave the order to stand down. The group of Gunner’s huddled around, awaiting their next command. Even at ease, the men looked composed and collected. Thatch removed his gasmask, revealing a rather odd sight. Thatch’s complexion was sickly and pale. His eyes appeared sunken in, and his expression: Exhausted. He had no facial hair, and the hair on his head was close cut, and pitch black. Regardless of obvious fatigue, however, he spoke with authority.

                “Great work, everyone. We saved two more this evening, but don’t get used to victory. Khale and his group are relentless, and we’ll probably hear more news about him before morning. It’s just the way these things go. I’m going to escort our friends here to the nearest inn. You know where the tavern is, and I’ll be there soon.”

                Thatch saluted his men by pounding his chest, repeating the same hand motion as he had back in the forest. His men, in turn did the same.

                “Enjoy your drinks, but remember, we’re on patrol again in just a few hours, so try and let your characters rest. If anyone needs to log out, I suggest you do it soon.”

                Thatch swiped his hand and opened his menu.

                “It’s 0200 now. 0800 is our next patrol. I’ll meet you all here. Dismissed.”

                The group of Gunners began walking into the city, while simultaneously pulling off their gasmasks and other equipment. Some began laughing and talking about what had previously happened, but other remained silent. Edmond watched them until they turned a bend at a sign post.

                Thatch too watched as they turned out of sight and then turned his attention to Edmond.

                “Thank you for your cooperation. We run a very particular set of operations in my guild.”

                Thatch’s voice was far less serious now. It instantly eased Edmond’s mind.

                “We should be thanking you. If you hadn’t come when you did, we’d be sitting back here in the city under much different circumstances.”

                Thatch smirked and put his hand up, waving away the gesture of thanks.

                “No thanking us, it’s just what we do. Some people get a genuine kick out of hunting new players. Pretty fruitless, but I guess everyone’s different. My guild does just the opposite. Now, if you’ll follow me, I’ll make sure you guys are taken care of for the rest of the night.”