Meet the Thompsons

I'm Tomiwa and I'm from a family of 6, 4girls, mother and father. Growing up in a developing country as Nigeria came with its hoola loola of how you live your life which I must say isn't based on how you want it but by the dictates of those around you. I am the 1st child, then there's ibukun, Tolani and Darasimi.

The streets of Lagos was in no way a place for young girls but we found ourselves subjected to the streets in order to make ends meet.

My father, Mr Bode Thompson was an architect in a leading firm before he was called off from work during a reshuffle and since then, we practically fit the description of grace to grass. We fell from our high horses into the stables of hay, my mother at that time was a complete housewife and tried to see that her family was well catered for.

My siblings and I attended the best school in the city but one thing we failed to realize and do on time was save for the rainy day.

Mum, Mrs Tolu Thompson (referred to as Mum T2 in this book), was and still is a very beautiful woman, she did everything in her powers to please my father and make us happy which personally I felt she aced, but the only issue she had was with my grandfather, her father in law.

In my tradition, the absence of a male child to carry on the fathers name and legacy after he's gone is an abomination, a taboo, and so my grandfather made staying married to her husband hell for her. Whenever we come for a gathering together, he never failed to remind her of her predicament;

"Until the day you decide to become a woman and wife by bringing forth male children, I will never regard you as my daughter-in-law, can't you see your co-wives and how they've given me healthy boys? Be like them or leave my son alone to sheath his offspring to another woman whose womb is filled with male eggs and you can go with those things you call children while at it, useless woman" grandpa said.

Baami, like I've always said, I'm not God, besides the sex of a child is not the woman's function, your son gives me what I bring forth and my children your grandchildren are not things, she defended, baami, please, if it's Gods will, a son will come but don't shun your love away from your grandchildren.

Mum T2 was strong, her love for her family never wavering, the bond she shared with my father was strong that when he was coerced to take a second wife he refused and stuck to his wife.

In all, we seemed happy and content little did we know that our happiness was short lived.

The reshuffle happened.

Baami: Father; used for men of older age.