Hopeless

3 months later and things went down south, Dad tried his best to get another job but it seemed like the more he tried, the more futile his attempt. The little money he had left couldn't even sustain the family. We had to go from 1:1:1 to 1:0:1.

We the kids weren't affected yet or so we thought, as our school had a policy of paying your wards fee for the 3 terms of school all at once. We finished our exams 2 months ago and looked forward to starting a new term in new classes. I personally looked forward to being called a senior by the Junior students. You could say I was exhilarated.

As kids, we couldn't do much than pray that all will be better in the family. Being the eldest, I called my siblings together and asked that we pray for our parents.

"Girls don't you think we should talk to God about Daddy's situation? Remember during Sunday school aunty blessing always tell us to talk to God when things seem impossible and there's no one else to turn to. "When the world pushes you to your knees, close your eyes and lift your hands in prayer", so I want us to come together as sisters and pray for Dad. Ok?"

"You're right Sis Tomi, Dad isn't happy that he lost his job, let's ask God to give him another one tomorrow so that he'll be happy" Tola said.

"Yes, good girl, now let's join our hands together and tell God about Dad. Dara come here".

Together as one family, we prayed for our father and hoped for the best but the more we prayed, the more the more it seemed unheard by God.

Dad couldn't take it anymore, schools were due to resume in 2weeks, food store house was empty, light bills were accumulating, the house rent was due in 3months, everything came  crashing down and weighing him down. Mum T2 tried her best in every possible means, and had just attended an interview recently with hope that she'd be called back to begin teaching with the start of a new session.

Dad was in debt, his family refused to help him as well. Remember Grandfather cast him off without a second glance on his insistence to stay married to Mum instead of getting another wife? Well, he also threatened that anyone who had something to do with Dad will also be disowned and removed from inheriting any property from the family.

To us westerners, family was everything but threatening them with a no share to their right as bonafide members of the family was a NO. Everyone adhered to Grandfather's words, leaving us broken and stranded. Although secretly, 2 of Dads brothers, Uncle Teju and Uncle Biodun sends money to Dad to keep soul and body together, but that wasn't enough or what Dad wanted.

A week to the resumption of school, we expected to have gotten new clothes and books, but none was forthcoming. I began to fear the worst, Ibukun too got a glimpse of what was likely to happen but Tola and Dara in their child-like manner was oblivious to the worst dilemma we were about to plunge into.

Dad and Mum T2 gathered us together for a meeting to talk to us about some changes.

°°°
1:1:1: Meal count for a 3 square meal, Morning, Afternoon, Night.