Chapter Two: Evaporation

(A meeting at a conference room in Oasis, week two)

The room is decorated as a mountain lodge.

"Why this group of rascals?" the Oasis sponsor Dakila Dahilan asks. She has long black hair and medium brown eyes. She is in her twenties.

"They showed the most improvement in the time frame," the Oasis boys' supervisor Lamar Cummings answers. He has brown hair and hazel eyes. He is in his thirties.

"They proved to me that they would like to change and have changed," the Oasis girls' supervisor Trixie Stu answers. She's in her thirties with blonde hair and gray eyes.

"They all look the same to me," Dakila mumbles. "What about them changed your mind?"

"Cade displayed guilt; Genesis displayed responsibility," Lamar says.

"Ado demonstrated respect; Demesne demonstrated repentance," Trixie says.

"What about the rest of them? Are they freeloaders?" Dakila asks.

"They're some of our troublemakers," Trixie admits.

"Why are they in the redemption then?" Dakila demands.

"This is about leadership. Whoever can transform their team is the true victor," Lamar answers.

"I never liked these redemptions," Dakila frowns.

"The products here are their attitudes, not what they're selling," Trixie adds.

(Team Corsair, courtyard, after breakfast)

"Who has heard of the Mirage brand of candles, perfumes, and colognes?" Dalton asks. No one raises their hands except the supervisors. "It's been a family business since 1708."

Genesis raises his hand. "Where are we going to sell the products at?"

"We're indentured servants!" Selene spat.

"I've leased a building for the duration of the redemption," Dalton ignores Selene.

"So ,we do all the dirty work, and then we may wind up back at Oasis? This is still a raw deal," Selene continues.

"Can't you see that he's doing us a favor?" Legacy scratches his sweaty neck.

"This is stupid!" Selene shouts.

"No, you're being a dumbass," Genesis whispers, and and bites his trimmed fingernails.

"You don't like that I'm your ticket out of here?" Dalton asks.

"Duh! I should have stayed in France," Selene says.

"What's in France?" Dalton asks. "Why are you in such a rush to return to homelessness?"

"My life," Selene crosses her fingers.

"To my understanding, you're not missing anything," Dalton says.

"It's not like I have a choice. Go on, master," Selene scoffs.

"We can't win without a sponsor, so lose up," Fallon snaps her fingers.

"This is worse than a bad trip," Selene complains.

"As I was saying, the first store was built in Franklin, Virginia. There are now two hundred stores worldwide. There will be employees in there for when you're not," Dalton says.

"Are we getting paid for this?" Selene asks.

"No, you're doing this out of the goodness of your heart," Agatha says.

"It's the thought that counts," Levi says.

"We're volunteering? Are you kidding me?" Selene scoffs. "Nothing in life is free. Professionally, I can assure you that everyone one wants either power, purpose, acceptance, sex, fame, admiration, drugs, money, or all of them?"