0 0 | b e f o r e

Song of the chapter: Leave Me Lonely by Ariana Grande and Macy Gray

☙❦❧

REESE wondered where she went.

For a while.

He spent hours upon hours calling her number, driving to her house and banging on her door. He spent days wondering where she went, why she left. The feeling inside his chest was one he never felt before. And suddenly it's all he ever felt— as if there was nothing else he knew of.

Staring at the picture on his nightstand, he bit his lip and a frown overtook his expression.

"You haven't eaten properly in days," her voice floated into his bedroom, snapping him out of the haze he was in. He lifted his head and offered her a tight-lipped smile. Shrugging his shoulders, he was quiet.

"Not that hungry," he justified.

Her sigh indicated how tired she was, how worried she was about him. He turned away from her, not wanting to see the look on her face which he knew would only make him feel worse. Worse for being like this right now, and worse for making her feel so run down in the process. He felt her presence beside him as the mattress dipped down a little. She put her hand on his shoulder and he flinched.

He wasn't sure why.

"Honey," she sighed once again, not knowing what to say. Even being a therapist herself, she was at a loss. She was used to helping people deal with their problems, helping them see a path to become better. But she had never needed to act like a therapist towards her own son.

So maybe it was better to just be a mother, because that's what she was good at.

"You need to eat."

He shook his head mumbling incoherently under his breath and she looked up at the ceiling in distress. "She'll come back," she said. "The house isn't sold yet, and she left so much unfinished business here. She'll have to come back if she ever wants to get away from here once and for all."

His head snapped up and he looked at his mother. Eyebrows furrowed and lips pursed, he suddenly wanted her to talk more.

"How do you know that?" he scoffed, sick of his mom's bluff.

She shook her head. "I just know Reese. She will come back. And if it's not for herself, it'll be for you. You guys are best frie–"

He chuckled.

"As if," he sneered. "That bitch probably never even cared."

Before he could insult her more, his mom's eyes hardened into a glare and she slapped the back of his head lightly. "I'll let that one insult slide," she started out in a no-nonsense tone,"But if I ever hear you calling her a bitch again, I will kick you out."

He rolled his eyes, mumbling out a half-assed 'sorry'.

"I understand you are angry. You have a right to be hurt at her actions, but maybe this was the best thing for her. After what happened to her, she's allowed to be selfish and only think of herself. Let her worry for herself and not for you. Be angry at her when she returns. But for now, understand why she did it. Try to understand. That doesn't mean you can't be mad, but understand Reese," his mom softly said, patting him on his back.

I tried to understand, he wanted to scream.

But of course he would never tell her that.

☙❦❧

And that's the prologue.

Sorry for the wait and this huge story change, but I think the story will flow better in his P.O.V.

Enjoy!

Next update: 05/03/20

~ Shay