Chapter 1

"You're the best, Souma!" He heard, from a passing girl carrying the brightest smile.

"You killed it over there, dude!" A boy said while giving him the thumbs up, walking to his class.

"I wish I could be as good as you!" He could hear, from a shy girl on her group of friends. Her cheeks were as red as tomatoes and she barely made eye contact.

While walking, the target to all of those compliments just smiled and waved to everyone that acknowledged him. His bright red hair glistened in the sun and the warm rays of it bounced on his skin.
Today was a good day, it was bright and colorful, and everyone seemed to be in a good mood.
Everyone, but the girl beside him, who walked slowly, and was hugging herself tightly.

"What's up, Megumi?" She heard her friend's voice, startling her.

"Ah, Souma!" She laughed nervously. "It's nothing!".

The red headed boy seemed skeptical. Something's up. He thought.
He stopped walking, confusing his friend, and suddenly got up and close to her face.
That, not surprisingly, made the girl blush.

"Something's happening to you, I know it." He said, while examining her fine features. Megumi, on the other hand, was trying to keep her cool, but her eyes expressed confusion.

She placed her delicate hands on the boy's chest, and softly pushed him away, while saying, "I'm just happy for you!" She took a look around. "Look at all these people congratulating you for winning the tournament." Megumi realized she hadn't stopped touching Souma, so she quickly put her hands behind her back.

"You truly deserve it!" She said, as her cheeks deepened their color.

"Thank you." The boy said, straightening himself, "But," He put his hand on his chin, "The real challenge is what comes next, you know? I can't believe I'm going against Top World Chefs now!".

The blue haired girl could see the boy's eyes glistening with excitement, and she smiled. He's so brave. She thought, proudly.

"I know!" She said, "If you need help with your training, I'll be here for you."
"Really?" The redhead said, as he smiled maliciously and rubbed his hand together.

The girl realized what she had said at that moment, and hid herself behind her braids. "Just don't make me eat something weird like strawberries with mayo or pickle tortillas!" She said, while wanting to run away.

The boy burst out laughing. "You said you'd be there for me!" He said, between giggles, "But don't worry, I won't make you eat something like that." His eyes shined with malice, "That's why I have Takumi."

Suddenly, the girl noticed the odd emptiness of the Academy's grounds, and it dawned on her.
"Souma, I think we're late for class!" She said, starting to run towards her classroom.

"Oh, crap!" He answered, while picking up his pace.