Escape

The punch was powerful. Jiang Cheng hit the boy with so much force that the Lan discipline felt on the ground after the impact. Both (Y/N) and Nie Huaisang had to hold down Jiang Cheng, preventing him from hurting Su She even more.

- Jiang Cheng! Beating him doesn't help at all!

He was fuming with rage. (Y/N) herself wished to smack the Lan discipline for everything he has done, yet she surpassed her feelings.

- He's right. Our priority now is to get them out of there. And we better hurry.

- I ... I really just wanted to help out...

- You know clearly what you did, responded Jin Zixuan, who was drying his robes a couple feet away from Su She.

The situation was getting worse with every minute. They had to act fast. MianMian, who was also visibly worried, asked, as if she was talking to herself:

- What do we do? The entrance is blocked, and there's even a monster in the cave...

- Let's call for help. Seek help separately.

(Y/N) was about to comment, when arrows flew out of nowhere, hitting two of disciplines.

" Seems like this day is full of surprises ..."

- Call for help? None of you can get away.

Wen Chao. After hearing those statements, the idea of chocking him to death sounded more than appealing.

- Kill them!

A rain of arrows followed his words. The impact would be fatal, no matter how much they tried to avoid it. Only a godly intervenience could save them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Time skip -

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Escaping the Wens was much harded than it looked like. Both tired and injured, (Y/N) made her way back to Yunmeng, seeking help there.

She got separated from the group in order to lure the Wen dogs after her. Still having her sword by her side, she had an advantage. Jiang Cheng asked her to return home and call for help.

She entered The Lotus Pavilion covered in dust mixed with blood, breathing heavily and barely holding herself on her legs. Jiang Fengmian and Madam Yu's jaws dropped upon seeing her in that state. (Y/N) spoke in an aggravated voice as soon as she caught her breath:

- The Wen dogs ... they attacked us ... help ... we need to send help to Qishan!

Jiang Fengmian was already up before she finished her sentence. Yu Ziyuan's face darkened when she spoke:

- How dare they! Send rescues immediately. A-(Y/N), you need rest ... and call a doctor!

- Madam, I can't! I must head back! A-Cheng is still out there chased by the Wen dogs, and A-Xian is stuck inside that cave with Lan Wanji. I -

- A-(Y/N), you're tired. Let us handle it from now on, interrupted her Jiang Fengmian.

After a few long minutes of arguing and begging, (Y/N) realised she won't be able to join him no matter what. Although (Y/N) wasn't their family, both Jiang Fengmian and Yu Ziyuan cared deeply for her. None of them would risk letting her go in her current, miserable state. Giving in at last, (Y/N) silently nodded and bowed politely, letting a servant escort her to her room.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Time skip -

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The room was quiet.  An occasional rustle of the book pages could be heard from time to time. Not a single word was spoken inbetween the walls of the small dormitory.

Jiang Cheng was sleeping peacefully, unbothered by the bird's singing. Next to him was sitting (Y/N), reading a book, head tilted downward.

When she heard that Jiang Fengmian returned with his sons, she rushed to meet them, ignoring the maid's pleadings to stay in bed. Both Jiang Cheng and Wei Ying were unconscious, possibly due to exhaustion and blood loss. (Y/N) spent two days and two nights by Jiang Cheng's side, having Yanli watch over Wei Ying.

Jiang Cheng slowly peeled his eyes open, looking around himself confused.

- Where ... am I? his voice was slightly hoarse.

(Y/N) closed her book and layed it down on her lap, turning her head to the boy next to her. A soft smile crept on her face.

- ... A-(Y/N)?, after a small nod, Jiang Cheng shoot out of his bed, panick taking over. A-(Y/N)!

- Morning, sleepy head. No need to shout, I'm here.

- Are you alright?! Are you injured? What ha-

He suddenly stopped, his eyes stopping on the bandage wrapped around her neck.

(Y/N) took notice of his glance, realising where he was looking.

- Oh, that. Don't worry about it, it's nothing.

- Nothing?! What happened? After we got separated? What did they do to you?

She looked away, avoiding his gaze.

- ... Nothing.

- But your neck...

- A cut. I cut myself by accident. Nothing serious.

Silence.

- Wei Wuxian. Where is he? Is he alright?

- Yes. He's sleeping in his room. Yanli is with him.

Still refusing to look at him, Jiang Cheng took her hand in his, lightly shaking it. He stopped soon after. With an unsure voice he asked:

- A-(Y/N) ... why is your spiritual power so ... drained?

Another long pause, and she responded in a low voice:

- I've watched over you for two days and nights without rest. Of course I am tired. You too, you need to eat. I'll get you something to eat and tell Yanli and Sect Leader you're awake.

She left the dormitory with a confused Jiang Cheng behind.

After around ten minutes she returned holding a lotus soup and Yanli by her side. He received a tight hug from his older sister, and after he proceeded talking about what happened back at Qishan, (Y/N) shoved a spoon full of soup in his mouth. She smilled as he pouted at her.

- You'll tell us everything only after you eat.