....and how it ends

1.

A few day before Christmas, Buck had tried to ask Eddie out on a date for the first time. It was tradition that the fire-fam met weekly at Athena and Bobby's house for little get together and a small but very delicious dinner. And every year small presents were exchanged at the Grant-Nash household just before Christmas. May, Harry, Denny and Buck also built little gingerbread houses every year on this particular evening. The rest of the one-eighteen always teased Buck about this but he loved every second of hit.

With Eddie's move to Los Angeles, Christopher soon became a part of their little baking tradition.

„Looks like the kids are having fun.", noticed Eddie. His eyes caught the sight of Buck. He was so into building his gingerbread house. He also had stuck his tongue out in concentration. Occasionally he would eat some crackers, M&Ms and smarties which they would later use to decorate their houses. „All five of them."

Hen and Athena laughed. „Buck's always looking forward to this day. He even looks up some new ideas on the internet but just between the two of us." Athena turned to Eddie and whispered. „His gingerbread house never actually looks like a house but it's cute."

Eddie took a closer look at Buck's house and instantly knew what Athena had meant. It looked more like a ruin - with way too much decoration.

Eddie had to keep himself from laughing.

~

The evening went by in a flash. Buck was very proud of his gingerbread house and couldn't wait to eat it later. The kids, Chim and Maddie played a board game. Athena and the rest chatted in the kitchen. Buck noticed, that Eddie was alone. He looked out the window. Buck took a deep breath and gathered all his courage and went over to him.

„Hey Eddie.", he said.

„Hey Buck, man look at this view. It's amazing.", Eddie replied.

„Yeah, it indeed is."

But Buck's gaze was fixed on Eddie. He was wearing his favorite Henley (the cream-cream-colored one) and probably the tightest jeans he owned. Buck licked his lips.

„I was wondering if you would like to-"

„Buck!" Buck swore on the inside. „We're about to play your favorite game. Do you wanna join?"

Buck turned to May. „Yeah, I'll be there in a second."

„If I what."

Buck looked back at Eddie. He looked hopeful. Buck became hot and cold at the same time, his heart pounded in his chest as if he'd run miles. It was just Eddie. Why was he suddenly so nervous?

„Uhh, I was wondering if you could go to IKEA with me sometime after the holidays." Eddie seemed disappointed, but Buck was probably just imagining things, right? „I really need a new couch. Man, this old thing's really uncomfortable and a pull-out one would be perfect." Buck added. He was ready for the ground to swallow him whole.

Eddie laughed, but it seemed forced. „Oh. Yeah, your couch isn't the best. I'll text you, okay?"

Buck nodded and went over to May and the others. Chim had noticed the exchange and hurried to Hen.

„Pay up, Hen. Buck tried to ask Eddie out on a date, but he chickened out last minute. Told ya he would."

Athena and Bobby listened closely.

„You made a bet?" Bobby asked.

Hen and Chimney hesitated. „Maybe?"

Athena laughed.