Chapter 3: New week

The weekend went by quickly, it was almost a blur. Kim and I spent most of it on the couch watching bad reality tv shows and giving our own running commentary to them. I’m fairly sure if the people on those shows had heard what we had to say we would have a few nasty words coming our way. The weekend had basically been one big girls’ weekend. If someone asked me how I would like to spend my birthday that’s exactly what I would have chosen to do. Besides the bad reality tv shows like The Bachelor, Are you the one, Ex on the Beach, Married at first sight and basically any other show where one could see half naked guys running around in the sun, Kim and I had watched.

We ate far too much junk food and drank an uncountable amount of soda and spent the weekend in our most comfortable set of pyjamas. We obviously spoke a bit about her new mate but there wasn’t much for her to say but she gave me the whole run down of the few hours that they had spent together and how they met in the house. There was no exciting news of them marking each other yet but they both accepted each other as mates and I’m pretty sure that Zach is waiting for them to get to know each other a bit more before they take the next step in their relationship.

In the past soulmates would mark each other within the first 24 hours of meeting one another but that was mainly because the members of packs wanted to be able to have children to allow their packs to grow and become stronger. The higher-ranking wolves would basically mark their mate on the spot. They didn’t want anyone even setting eyes on their mate from the moment that each of them had found each other. The mates of the higher-ranking wolves, for example the Alpha, Beta and Third-in-command, needed their mates to bring balance to the pack.

The female mates brought a different side of thinking and ruling in a pack. So, one could see why it was so important for them to be marked by one another and it would then mean that they were apart of the higher-rank and also in sync with the necessary members of the pack. This ensured that they could keep the pack safe and would be able to perform their duty in their role. Also, once you are marked by your mate you are off limits to any other wolf.

But the weekend had to come to an end at some point. It was Monday and I was back at school doing the usual robot thing of going to classes, taking down notes and pretending to listen to whatever important thing the teacher had to say. Since the night of the party I’ve had recurring dreams of those bright green eyes looking at me. I have not told Kim about what had happened that night as I didn’t really see any point to it until I knew what exactly had happened.

I would love to know who those eyes belong to. I must say that when I see them in my dreams, I am drawn to them. There is some sort of connection between us.
The day was going by slowly and I wasn’t in the mood to really focus on any of the work being done. I was ready to be back at home. I needed to go for a run this afternoon to let out some of my frustrations.

The school day was finally indicated by the screeching noise of the final bell. I got up from my desk and began my walk home. I didn’t wait for Kim because I knew I would either see it home at some point today. She had afternoon sports at school, and I assume that she might go over to the house that Zach and some of the other boys from the pack stay in. Her having a mate meant more time alone for me at home.

Walking through my front door I dropped my bag and headed straight for the kitchen. I needed a good cup of tea and something to eat. I opened the freezer and pulled out a box of chicken nuggets. Placing a couple of nuggets onto a tray and placing them in the oven I then scrounge around in my pantry cupboard to find a packet of popcorn. I placed it in the microwave and began making my tea as it was too early to start my popcorn. my tea, chicken nuggets and popcorn were now ready. I placed the items in front of the tv before sitting down and looking for something to watch while I stuff my face with food. I finished watching the previous nights episode of MasterChef before climbing off of the couch and placing my dirty dishes in the dishwasher.

It was about 16:30 and I could see a storm coming in the distance. My favourite time to go for a run was right before a storm. For some reason I felt my strongest before and during a storm and nights of a full moon. I changed into my running kit. I put my earphones in my ears and found my favourite playlist for running before placing my phone in my running armband. I started my activity on my watch before jogging off. I started with a slow jog just to warm up my muscles and get myself into a good pace.

Before realising it, I was running down a winding path through an area that had incredible scenery. I slowed down to catch my breath a little. The weather had changed quickly, and the storm was closer than what I had expected. I looked up and felt a drop land on my face. I closed my eyes and enjoyed the moment. Feeling the rain on my skin was refreshing and I felt energised at this moment. I opened my eyes to take in my surroundings.

Behind one of the trees my eyes locked onto a pair of bright green eyes. They were breath-taking. I just stood there staring into them. I really didn’t know what to do, I didn’t feel like I was in any form of danger. The hairs on my body stood up and it felt like the pair of eyes was sending sparks of electricity through me. Without thinking my legs started moving again and at a faster pace than what I’ve ever pushed myself to run. I was now soaking wet and in the middle of a field with long grass coming up to about the height of my hips. I was panting and struggling to catch my breath.

Next thing I was tackled onto the ground. My back covered in mud. I was pinned down by a black wolf. He was pretty large, as big as they could possibly come. He was obviously an alpha telling by his size. I would be lying if I weren’t scared. My heart was pounding and in all honesty, I didn’t know what to do. if he wanted to kill me, he could have done that the moment he tackled me to the ground or even before that when he was possibly following me through the forest.

I had one paw on my chest holding me down. We were just staring at one another for what seemed ages before a growl was let passed his lips. I closed my eyes and when I opened them again, he was gone. We seemed to be playing a game of hide and seek.

Thanks for reading guys. I hope it was as good as you wanted it to be. Don't forget to leave me comments, I'll be sure to answer you. If you're enjoying the book so far don't forget to give me a vote.

Stay safe and happy reading!