Chapter 2

As I walked down the hallway of Camrose Middle School,I felt the eyes of about half the school's population on me,teachers included.That meant that  they knew.Who else would gladly inform the school about my slip up with Amy other than 'Journalist in the Making' Beverly Stevens.
          I was already sending a prayer of thanks upward for getting to my locker without any 'incidents' when I heard the mismatched squeaks of shoes from The Squad resulting from the failed attempts to match steps with Amy. She walks fast for a diva.I turned fully expecting her face to be oozing of anger but she looked eerily calm and I thought did someone hand out pamphlets on how to stay calm in angry situations while I was asleep.
           "What happened?"Amy said in a scary,cold tone.
         I decided to skip coming up with a long excuse and just apologize.
       "I woke up late.I'm am so sorry."
       "It's okay." she said bursting into a smile.
       I nearly toppled over unsure whether I heard her right or I was hearing things again.
      "What?" I asked in a not so steady voice.
      "You heard me,I forgive you.Now come with me.I've got news."
         "Okay." I said still unsure about her sudden change of mood.
          We headed outside leaving anyone below the top three behind. We went to the school garden and before Callie and I even sat down on one of the benches,Amy already began talking.
         "So, you'll never guess what happened?" Amy said to Callie and me, her voice dripping with excitement.
        "Jake Harcourt asked me to the Spring Dance!" she continued without even letting us get a word in.
        "But that's about a month away"
Callie said
        "I know but as the saying goes 'Better early than never' she said 'wisely'
        "I don't think that's how the saying goes." I murmured
         "I don't care but don't you think that means something,like he's afraid someone else will ask me before he does?"
        I gave her a look meaning "Really?"
        "You're right.He already knows my heart belongs to him." she said dramatically before looking at us. Then we all burst into laughter.
         We got up and walked into school arms entwined like a signal to others that our friendship was unbreakable even though it was as fragile as glass.
         We left for classes and even by lunchtime, I was wondering how she forgave so easily. Maybe the real Amy was abducted or maybe this was a clone because the Amy I knew would have held a grudge for at least a day.
      Maybe she had changed.People change.I knew that from experience.
     I also knew that I liked this Amy. We didn't even tease anyone that day. That had to be a record of some kind. Other people noticed too because a lot of people had the courage to talk to her freely.She was in that happy state for weeks and I figured that if that was what Jake Harcourt did to The Amy Walter,then I would gladly have handed my Second-in-Command   position to him if he wasn't already popular.
        Of course,some things don't last forever but I was going hold onto this for as long as I could.