Chapter 4: The party

Neymar opened his car door for me like a gentleman once we reached his Audi R8. I believed this nice behavior was all just an act. I refused to sit next to him in the passenger seat and opted for the backseat. He didn't say anything about it, but I did catch him glancing at me in the rearview mirror a couple of times. None of us said a word on the way to the party. It was awkward.

The hotel where they stayed and where the party was being held, looked very luxurious. These guys must be super-rich, I thought.

Once the elevator arrived, Neymar pushed the button to the 50th floor. I felt uncomfortable being in a confined space with him.

"Why do you look like you've seen a ghost?"

"I want to get out of this elevator."

"Why? Are you scared of me?" he asked with a smirk.

"Scared? No, I just don't like to be near you."

"Is this near enough?" he asked in a mocking tone and stepped closer to me.

I took a step back and hit the elevator wall behind me. He took one last step and closed the gap between us. It was too close for my liking.

"What are you doing? You promised you would be nice to me," I reminded him slightly in panic.

"I am being nice," he said with a mysterious smile.

He placed his hand on my right cheek and brushed his thumb lightly over my skin.

A gasp left my lips as goosebumps pricked my skin. "What...the hell are you d-doing?"

"Shush," he whispered as he swept his thumb over my lips, making them tremble under this touch.

"There we go, all done."

I stared at him in disbelief.

What the hell was wrong with this jerk?

"Your lipstick was smeared so I cleaned it," he stated with a mischievous glint in his eyes.

I was left speechless. I shifted my gaze down to the floor and decided to ignore him until we arrived on the 50th floor. I wasn't in the mood for another argument with him.

Neymar grabbed my hand suddenly when the elevator came to a halt. He led the way and I followed him blindly into a big, decorated hall filled with people.

"Hey Anna, I'm so happy that you came," Marc smiled brightly when he spotted us minutes later.

Neymar let go of my hand as I smiled back at Marc. He looked so handsome in his expensive-looking navy blue suit. Marc gave me a quick hug and pressed a chaste kiss on my cheek, making a blush creep over my cheeks.

Marc took my hand and showed me around. He introduced me to a couple of people, and that's when I realized that Neymar wasn't by our side any longer. I hadn't even noticed, not that it mattered to me. I was glad that he was gone.

Marc and I spotted Sarah in the crowd. She was so happy to see me. We talked and went to get some fancy-schmancy cocktails.

After a while, I needed some fresh air because it was too hot inside. I left Sarah with some other girls we had met tonight and walked out onto the balcony.  It was chilly outside, and that was a good thing because the cold breeze soothed my warm skin.

The view from up here was absolutely stunning. I leaned against the railing and enjoyed the view of beautiful Paris.

"Hey Anna, there you are," Marc said, startling me a little. "You look beautiful by the way. I forgot to tell you earlier."

"Thank you," I smiled.

He joined my side and glanced at Paris for a second or two before he fixed his gaze on me again.

"You know what Anna? I haven't liked any girl in a long time, but there's something different about you. I like you. You are down to earth and I find it very cute," he said softly as he looked straight into my eyes.

His confession surprised me, and I was left speechless. I looked at my feet with flushed cheeks, feeling too shy to look at him now. I felt Marc's arms wrap around me and pull me to his body. I don't know why, but I started to panic.

He noticed the sudden change in my body language. "I don't want to do anything you don't like. I'm sorry Anna," he said and let go of me.

He was behaving like a real gentleman and his reaction showed me that he cared about my feelings. I liked that a lot. I took a deep breath and embraced him to show him that he had done nothing wrong. I needed to let go of my fears.

Marc inhaled sharply and hesitated at first to hug me back, but then I felt his arms wrap around my body again. We stayed in each other's embrace for a little while before we broke away.

Marc smiled brightly and pressed a soft kiss on my temple. "Do you have someone special in your life?"

"No."

"How can a girl like you still be single?" he asked like he couldn't believe his ears.

"I don't want to date anyone," I mumbled.

"Why?"

"I don't trust love or men."

"So you don't trust me?" His voice gave away that he was upset now.

"Marc, I do trust you as a friend. You are a nice person. I just don't believe in love and relationships anymore."

"So you would never...date me?"

"I'm not ready for a relationship."

"Did someone break your heart?"

"Yes. It was a few years ago. And after that, I decided to be single."

It was weird to talk about this with a man I hardly knew.

"Maybe I will be able to change your mind," he joked playfully.

I faked a smile as my mind wandered off to my ex and how he had cheated on me.

"Yo Marc, get back inside we need you!" some guy yelled out of nowhere, startling us both.

"I will come in a second!" Marc yelled back. "Sorry about that, I will see you inside okay, Anna?"

After Marc had left, flashbacks of my ex and the pain he had put me through resurfaced. I couldn't stop the first tear from rolling down my cheek.

♦♦♦

Please don't forget to vote and comment♥

Edited 12/01/2021