CHAPTER 40: FREAK ACCIDENT

"Okay, and you're wearing sunglasses," Marley hands the glasses over to Nero. Marley is an absolute expert at covering his appearance in public places, and he's currently suiting Nero and Drey up to not be recognized as abnormal. He never unpacked the disguise stuff his mom gave him, so it's all just been in a separate pocket of his bag for the past few months.

Nero seems annoyed. "It's night."

"Uh, it's better than walking into a grocery store with glowing red eyes." Marley replies with raised eyebrows. Nero really shouldn't argue with him on this. For once Marley actually knows what he's talking about.

Nero rolls his eyes and puts them on. Marley's pretty sure he doesn't have to worry about the rest of the man's appearance, since he was 15 when the whole Silor incident happened and he was on the news. His face has changed since then, and the sunglasses cover about a fourth of his features anyway.

Okay. Now Drey's teeth.

Marley pulls out one of his black cloth masks, and kneels down on the floor. Drey has just been standing there patiently, waiting for her turn to be disguised. Marley would just ask her not to open her mouth, but he finds it unrealistic to trust a child to do that. Plus, he'll need to ask her questions about the stuff she wants.

He hooks the end loops around her ears, and situates the mask so it only covers her mouth. Her big yellow eyes just watch him the whole time, and he finds the look to be rather adorable on her. He momentarily thinks about disguising her eyes, but on the off chance someone asks about them he'll just convince them they're light brown.

Disguising Marley, though, is a whole other beast. He has the third most recognizable face on the planet.

Marley frowns, staring down at his belongings. He has a scarf, which will do good to hide the marks on his neck as well. He sits on the ground and starts going through his bag. He only has one pair of sunglasses, which he gave to Nero, so his eyes will have to be uncovered. This'll be a bit of a challenge but he can deal with it.

Marley wraps his yellow scarf around his neck and the lower half of his face, leaving his eyes and the top of his head free. He also has a black hat with a logo for some restaurant on the front, and he puts that on his head. Then, he pulls his hood over the hat.

Hopefully that'll be enough.

"I would still recognize you like that," Nero notifies him.

"Yeah, well, that's because you were obsessed with me," Marley replies, standing up with the bag. He's in a bad mood, okay? Nero just fucking left him alone in the bathroom after getting him all aroused and Marley wants revenge.

"What." Nero replies, and Marley can picture his scowl.

"Yeah. Plotting to kill me and all that." He continues, walking across the room and putting his bag on the dresser.

"You wanted to kiw Marley?"

Oh shit. Marley forgot about her.

He spins around, finding Drey looking at Nero in both curiosity and slight alarm. Marley can't actually tell very well (due to the glasses), but he's about 90% sure Nero is glaring daggers into his soul.

Now, this is about the time that you would lie to a child, right? To avoid having a conversation about how you've been conspiring to kill random members of the royal family?

Nero didn't get the memo.

"Yeah," Nero replies. Marley just stares at him in complete and utter disbelief.

"Why?" Drey asks.

Nero just shrugs. "I didn't like him."

Drey is absolutely not comprehending this new development. "But... but you kiss him."