The Uzumaki Clan

ATTENTION: I do NOT own any of the characters or locations except the OC I created. Naruto, Naruto Shippuden, and Boruto are the property of Mikio Ikemoto, Masashi Kishimoto, Shueisha, and Viz Media. As many of you know, this is not a market substitute. Go support the real deal. Thank you.

Revised May 1st, 2024 (Made some small changes to have the sentences make more sense.)  

***

Standing on the destroyed Hokage faces. Boruto tries to obtain a logical explanation of how they allowed things to get this far. He stares out at what used to be his home. The leaf village is now demolished.

Kawaki, who stands opposite Boruto, is eager to resume their fight as they stare each other down.

"To think you'd be this strong," Boruto voices.

"You still don't know when to stop talking, do you? No matter, I'll be sending you and your siblings to meet the 7th soon enough."

Boruto grips the hilt of his sword, grief washing over his cerulean eye. His right eye remains shut, possibly due to the large scar from his forehead to his cheek. He wonders if things undoubtedly had to turn out this way. Kawaki, unmoved, raises a hand, clenching it in a fist, and assures him that it did. He gestures to the leaf village lying in waste, declaring, "The ninja age is over, whether you like it or not."

Boruto reaches into his rear pouch, pulls out a leaf headband whose symbol has been slashed, and bears a vertical gash that aligns with his scar. Placing it on, Boruto informs Kawaki that he will always remain a ninja, no matter what. 

At this moment, Boruto reveals his right eye, showing it to have a transparent pupil as he prepares for battle. They run towards each other, clashing! However, that isn't where this story begins.

No, it started several years ago when Boruto could care less about being a ninja and even less about being hailed as the "greatest" ninja in the entire village...the Hokage. Someone who also happens to be his father.

You see, long ago, it was his father's dream to be the most prominent ninja in the village. To be seen and acknowledged by its people. Something he did accomplish over time.

But this isn't a tale about a boy aspiring to become Hokage. No, that's an old narrative. This is 100% the story of three children finding their own path. The Uzumaki clan. At least, that's how Boruto and his siblings refer to themselves.

It was an unusual start to the day. Boruto and Shikadai parkour throughout the village. Weaving and bopping on the ground and over rooftops as quickly as possible. In their haste, Shikadai wonders why he was hurried out of his home.

Boruto finally stops and orders two green chili hamburgers at the local burger joint. Shikadai reaches him in disbelief, hoping his friend didn't hustle him out of his house so early in the morning just to grab a meal.

While grabbing the snacks and heading out, Boruto reveals that he found an old coupon that would expire this afternoon. They head to the Thunder Rail, a train recently implemented in the Leaf Village, on a mission to modernize it. Boruto finds it most convenient, noting how they don't have to walk around as much.

Shikadai agrees with how much the village has progressed. In any case, he doesn't understand why they still have to attend an old-fashioned academy like the Ninja school, where the entrance ceremony takes place later today.

"Wait, that's today?" Boruto utters.

Shikadai was perplexed at his friend's ignorance. "I'm not exactly looking forward to any of that," Boruto responded. Shikadai knows and begins to note the staggering amount of sweat on his naive friend's face. Boruto retorts by perceiving the same from him.

That's when they realize...

Looking down at their recently purchased chili burgers, agony builds up in their mouths. The beverages barely last due to how fast they consume them.

Shikadai shakes the burn, glancing over at Boruto. "Look, your mom and dad asked me to watch over you, and as your best friend, all I can do is suggest not doing anything that could embarrass them."

"Why not? I mean, that's who I am. The screw-up. The one who can never do things right and finds the easy way out. So why not give people what they expect?" Boruto voices.

"Come on, you know nobody believes that. People just have to take a chance getting to know you."

"How are they going to do that when I'm the Hokage's son? None of them want anything to do with me, and you know that." Shikadai stays silent. "There's a time and place for everything, and just like this train, as long as it stays on track, it'll get to its destination quickly," Shikadai expresses.

After getting on his feet, he jumps off, holding onto a metal pole and letting Boruto know not to be late for the entrance ceremony. While reflecting on his friend's words, he gazes into the distance at his father's stone face.

He gets up and loudly announces, "One day, I'll show everyone who I can be when I'm not in your shadow!"

This causes a train crew member to hear him and shout to get off. Boruto, startled, jumps off the train and lands on a lamppost, where he notices a couple of boys gathered in an alley. Boruto also perceives what appears to be a redhead. And he knows only one ginger who lives in the village.

Moving in to obtain a more formal look, he sees his sister Minori picking a fight with the village bullies. But what surprises him the most is that Himawari is with her.

"You picked the wrong people to mess with, red-headed weirdo," they proclaim. Minori smiles as she describes how funny it is for people to feel brave when in a group. "Rather than nagging my sister, why not try working together to help others, and in turn, people will look up to you?" she suggested.

Although it would be easiest to tell her that they want to mess with others for fun, since Minori intends to play the hero, they decide to teach her a lesson. One of them is about to go in for a hit until a drink falls on his head. Standing on a power line, Boruto apologizes for his mistake.

"Brother!" Himawari calls out.

Jumping down, white smoke surges and produces a couple of shadow clones who batter them up reasonably effortlessly. Dusting off his hands, Boruto walks over to Minori, asking if she is going to allow them to hit her.

She thanks her brother, letting him grasp how it's best to perceive someone as a threat before kicking their butts. In addition, Minori witnessed Boruto sneak into the alley, so she knew he would find a way to interfere before anything happened. 

As they stroll around the village, they catch up on their day. It appears Minori and Himawari were sent on errands by their mother. It's something Boruto would know if he stayed in the house rather than running off every morning.

She and Himawari had split up for a while, and then those boys started harassing her. Since Minori knows how her sister reacts to confrontations, she intervenes.

"I'm sorry. I know I'm not the best when defending myself from people like that. I ruined the day for us," Himawari voices.

"Don't you dare blame yourself for the actions those guys took, and never be sorry for being who you are," Minori declares.

Although she smiles and feels happy that her siblings accept her, she looks away from them to the ground with a troubled look as they continue walking.

"By the way, are you planning on going to the entrance ceremony later today?" Minori asks Boruto. Despite his dismissive tone, he says: "I'll be there." Then he somberly asks, "Is dad coming?"

"Yeah, it's kinda his job to be there as Hokage. I feel like he's more eager for us to start than we are ourselves," Minori acknowledges. 

"Papa probably already left a clone at the office to do all the work so he can take us out for ramen," Himawari announces. 

Minori adds, "Knowing Mom, she'll be down with whatever Dad picks, so it'll be up to us to try and convince them to go to a different spot. So I hope you're game." He doesn't answer her back, and she doesn't pursue a response.