Page 2 : A Stroke of Good Luck

On the night of a full moon, a young fox boy was in his room, staring up at the moonlit sky a few minutes before he had to go to bed. Among the many stars that floated in the sky, the boy's eyes were always drawn to the moon. He remembered a story his mom told him about how if you look carefully at the moon, you can spot a cute animal of some kind standing on a pot, pounding something. The exact details were hazy to him. He doesn't even remember what the animal was supposed to be or why it was pounding into a random pot on the moon. All he knew was that he liked its ears. Whatever it was, if it can make its way to the moon and become a legend, then it has to be magical, or at least special, something that can perform a miracle. Looking at the moon with innocent eyes, holding a memento from his father, the boy made a silent prayer.

"Please, cute creature on the moon, bring me some good luck."

Years passed and before Izuku Midoroya knew it, he was thirteen.

Many things have changed. His mom was no longer the tall, slender, man-catcher that she once was. Life hadn't been so grateful to her. She has yet to find out what happened to her husband or if he was even still alive and suddenly becoming a single mom took a toll on her health as the years dragged on.

Then there was the situation with Izuku's still hid his ears and tail from everyone, mostly through clever clothing choices. Makeup helped cover up his face whiskers. For his tail, he tied it to his back with a belt, as he didn't want to go through the painful process of sitting on it all day during school. It sucked that despite not being able to move his fox parts he can still feel pain from them. He had to get more tricky for his ears, purposely growing out his hair to cover most of the base and then tying down his ear with string so he can brush his hair over it.

The last thing he hid was a black fox tail, a souvenir from the day his father saw his fox ears for the first time. Now it's a memento and the only thing he had to remind him of his dad. He had worn it in a couple of different ways, first trying to be discrete by using it as a phone decoration, then as a keychain, and finally an earpiece. After those failed because they obviously did the opposite of his goal, he settled on making it a bracelet that he would occasionally wear on during a test for good luck. During a test is the only time he was certain no one would pay attention to him, so he found it safe to keep his memento out.

The only people who would naturally see his hidden parts were the ones he lived with like his mother, since the boy's awareness slipped the most around her, though usually by accident and it resulted in Izuku hiding in his room all day.

He never wanted his mom to see his fox side again, not after overhearing something he wasn't meant to hear.

He truly wished he hadn't heard what he had heard that day. He already heard a lot because of the cruel and unforgiving hell on earth that is school. Of course, the lie Inko told his school was that Izuku had an 'undeveloped' fox quirk, to explain why he had a fox boy's appearance and yet none of the capabilities of a fox. While at first, when he was three, having something that can be taken as a quirk being manifested so early in life made him easily accepted and popular among his peers. When everyone else's quirk began manifesting fully and his 'quirk' remained undeveloped years after, the ridicule began.

At first, it was a one specific person making a few harmless cracks about him, then a couple of kids joined in, and from there the inevitable spiral into a group of people cruelly mocking him began, calling him things like 'defective', 'half-baked', 'primitive beast', 'alpha test', 'beta dog', and 'pre-evolution trash,'

Luckily, most of it stopped as time went by, the only exception being the more delinquent students in his classes. As cruel as kids could be, all they knew was that he had an underdeveloped, weak quirk. It wasn't one he would be praised for, but since he wasn't known as quirkless he was no different from everyone else in society. He could blend into the endless waves of society without fear of being singled out if he wanted to.