chapter five

"You want the sad truth? Even if I forget you, I'll always miss you."

The weather outside my window was absolutely wretched as my vision began to clear back up. Trees were blowing violently in the wind, and I could hear the sound of the rain slamming onto our roof. I was practically glued into my bed due to the millions of blankets on me, and it seemed as if someone tucked me in a little too tightly.

Was all of that real? Why was there a girl that looked exactly like me? This is all seemed like a freaky dream and I was pretty convinced it was. How else would I have gotten back home?

"How are you feeling?" a chirpy voice interrupted.

I yelped in surprise as purple hair made its way into my vision, the girl plopping on top of my bed where my legs were laying.

"What happened?" I sat in an upright position, rubbing my head due to the horrible headache I had. It felt like someone was repeatedly stabbing my head and sewing it back together.

"First things first, do you remember who I am?" Her eyes burned into mine, which made me feel uncomfortable.

And suddenly, it all clicked. She was the random girl that showed up while I was trying to write my poem, and started saying a bunch of creepy stuff to me. What was her name? Jewel? Gem? It was Gemma!

"How do you know where I live?" I demanded, creeped out by her.

"So you don't remember me?" She fired back.

"No, I don't! All I know is that you randomly showed up and you're starting to freak me out!" I whisper screamed, not wanting my parents to hear me.

"This is gonna be way more complicated than I thought." She groaned.

"When you decide to tell me what the hell is going on, I'll be here." I sighed, plugging my headphones into my cracked phone and listening to the "One Direction" station on Pandora. The song "Don't Let Me Go" by Harry Styles came on, and I stuffed the headphones into my ears. My room was completely Gemma-free, and I wondered how she seemed to disappear so quickly.

I stared blankly at the wall in front of me, listening to the lyrics deeply.

"Seems like these days I watch you from afar, just trying to make you understand, I'll keep my eyes wide open...."

It felt as if I could actually feel what the artist was feeling, and it felt horrible. I could feel all of the pain striking me all at once, leaving me to feel completely empty and broken. That's exactly what I want to hear in songs - I want to crawl inside their minds and feel exactly what they're feeling.

A knock at my door interrupted me, and the door quickly opened. Into my room came my overbearing, perfect mother.

"Did you finish your homework?" She asked, clad in her freshly-ironed dress.

"Yes, I wrote a poem for English class, but it isn't due for another week." I explain to her, taking out my headphones.

"Good. I'll call you down when dinner is ready, we're having some of your father's friends over. I suggest you change into something more.. decent." She adds a smile at the end before quietly shutting my door.

I groaned before randomly grabbing a navy blue dress off of a hanger, and pairing it with a golden belt. I hurriedly put it on, slipping on my matching gold flats. I examined myself in the mirror a bit, my eyes lingering on the fat bulging out of the side of my torso. I desperately wanted to cover up my fat legs and arms, but I knew my mother wouldn't approve of it. I left my hair straight, and sprayed some perfume I found lying on my vanity table.