Fresh

Eva

Layla rushed about the apartment looking for things to properly pack for the hospital. Esme was still comfortably positioned on the bed with her baby girl contently bundled on her chest, still connected to the thick sac that had expelled from Esme's body five minutes before. I could hear the sound of footsteps coming up the apartment steps so I grabbed a towel that was sitting on the bed and draped it over her knees.

"Sorry, I don't know where any of my shorts are." She blushed, making Layla snort out a laugh and turn around the corner with the large suitcase. "Esmeralda, thirty minutes ago I had my hand inside you, no pants can cover what I saw." She laughed, zipping everything up before going to let the paramedics in.

I giggled and returned my attention back towards my friend and the baby, patting her arm before turning toward the loud footsteps of the medics' thick rubber soles, filtering in with their big bags and gurney. "Well well! Look what we have here! Congratulations mom!" A young man grinned as he began to pull his equipment out, wrapping a stethoscope around his neck before pulling on some gloves, pulling away the towel, another medic simultaneously checking on Esme. "Thank you, I made her myself." She joked, leaning back tiredly as they examined everything.

"Bouncing baby girl! She sounds and looks good." He muttered, the sudden jostling and cold stethoscope making the baby girl wail angrily for disturbing her important time with her mother. "It's okay, shh." Esme cooed, calming her down enough to begin sucking on her hand, nuzzling into Esme even more.

"And Esme? Is she okay?" I asked the quieter medic who was busy working between her legs, pulling out a foil blanket. "She's fine, lets just get her in to get a blood transfusion." He urged, making me look over and pull her towel back, gasping at the blood that had soaked onto the bed.

"Oh god." I whispered under my breath, worry now filling my chest as I looked back up at my friend, not noticing how pale and clammy she had gotten. "The baby- when it was coming out, her face was facing up instead of down, did- did we do something wrong?" I cried, terror now tugging on my heart, petrified that we had done something to hurt her.

"No, we just call that a posterior baby, or sunny side up. It's just a little more difficult to get them out, but from the looks of it you all did fine. Some moms just bleed a little more afterwards." He assured, making me swallow and turn my attention back over to the two, my friend now limp on the bed with her baby still nuzzled on her chest.

"Alright, Esme we are going to get you to the hospital. Now why don't you let your friend take the baby and we are going to get you to the hospital." The talkative EMT instructed, my friend nodding tiredly at him, motioning for me to take the baby.

"Me?" I cried, everyone now staring at me as Esme nodded softly. "Come on, you just have to hold her." She winked, motioning once more for me to take the baby. I nodded and went to scoop her up, abruptly getting stopped by the medic who was holding a pair of scissors, ready to detach the baby.

"Wait! Can I do it?" I heard Layla request from the corner, all of us turning our heads to face her. The blonde was eagerly holding the bag looking over the shoulders of the medics who were working.

"Sure." He shrugged, looking at Esme who just nodded casually. She eagerly took the scissors and cut where she was instructed, taking a step back to allow them to continue working. "Alright, Evangelina, go ahead and take the baby." He instructed, allowing me to nervously reach over and scoop the tiny baby into my arms. I shifted slightly to adjust her in my arms, looking down at the shimmering blanket. I carefully pulled it back to assure that she was still breathing, noticing how silent she had been, but she was completely fine, just sleeping.