Prologue

* Currently undergoing intense editing/being rewritten because author has issues and came back to this story after two years still wanting to finish it but also too cringed by old me's writing :)

* TW: panic attacks, alcoholism, alcoholic relapse, inaccurate medical procedures.

*Summary:
The newly reunited Avengers, exhausted and beat up have their first moment of peace all week interrupted by a news broadcast announcing the retirement of All Might. Akari makes a few decisions based on that.

~America, Stark Tower, (Post infinity war)~

Tony Stark's living room had seen some weird shit in its time..

And the sight of a few world saving superheroes laying around it in various states of exhaustion and injury, while not a particularly new one, was still up there in the list, when you consider the awkward apology session that had taken place just moments before Tony and Steve finally stopped looking like divorced parents in a custody battle, and they all sank into a comfortable silence.

Well, they tried to at least.

"Ouch." Akari hissed again, and attempted to wriggle away from the harsh antiseptic being applied to a deep, hastily stitched, cut across her face.

"Well, if you'd let the meds do this on the jet, it wouldn't be hurting as much now. This is definitely infected.." Bruce calmly scolded his friend, hands not ceasing their steady work.

"Yeah, feels like it." Akari grumbled, holding back another wince, this time the source being the cracked rib she currently held an ice pack against. "Still, couldn't have taken the mask off with so many people around."

Bruce shook his head with a long suffering sigh. "Just tell me if you need a break."

"Will do." she tried to smile, suddenly hit by how much she'd really missed the guy. "It's good to have you back, Doc."

The doctor chuckled sheepishly, "Oh, yeah? Missed your personal nurse?"

"Missed my friend." she admitted sincerely, and Bruce's smile reached his eyes.

The whole process of getting patched up by someone else was always an unpleasant one for her. Not only for the unavoidable pain that accompanied it, but the idea that she would need to let someone get so.. close while she's in such a vulnerable state left her downright nauseous.

The sharp aroma of a sterilized medical ward, bright hospital lights blinding her, quirk suppressant cuffs on her wrists, too many syringes in her body-

Bruce was alright, though. He was safe. He understood in a way very few could.

"Shawarma's here!" Tony announced, walking in through the elevator doors, arms loaded with ridiculous amount of delicious takeout bags. Akari made grabby hands at it, hunger hitting her full force, and he unwrapped a sandwich for her, passing it over.

She made to take an eager bite but her hand was swatted away by Bruce who gestured for her to continue holding the ice to her ribs and readjusted her head to continue working. Akari mourned the loss but allowed it, knowing better than to draw out the process.

"Thanks for the food, Tony." Steve said sincerely, getting up to help, and cracking his knuckles loudly; an anxious habit Akari had almost forgotten he had since the last time she saw him.

"God, I forgot how much food you genetically enhanced asses eat.." Tony groaned, passing over the bags with a hesitant smile. "The pop-tarts industry isn't ready for the return of the god of thunder."