Part Five

Though she initially planned to return to her room unseen, she decided instead to follow the music to the ballroom. She hoped Duke Wayne would not be displeased at her invasion of a local holiday. Even so, she truly cared little how he reacted. His brother and sister might have the answers she needed. His daughter, too, might prove helpful. She was not about to let anyone so irritable—or anyone at all—get in the way of her discovering the truth.

Meryn had never met Lord Jacob Wayne, but she recognized him immediately. He had Daphne's and Marissa's cheekbones, and his elder brother's eyes and chin. His laugh boomed across the ballroom. Meryn found herself smiling at the merriment in his eyes and written so clearly on his face. Jacob seemed a light-hearted man, so unlike his shrewish siblings. She suspected talking to him would be a much easier task than she had anticipated.

She glanced about the room for Marissa or Daphne. Lady Marissa Wayne stood among several other middle-aged women. Daphne, she discovered, was nowhere to been seen. Meryn supposed the girl never said specifically where she intended to go. She had not said much at all, really. Perhaps Daphne merely retired to her room.

With a sigh, Meryn strode over to Jacob. The man and his friends did not notice her at first. Jacob was deep in discussion with another distinguished gentleman. Meryn strained to hear the topic of conversion over the loud voices all around her. Drawing closer, she realized two things. The first was that Jacob and the finely dressed gentleman were whispering. The other was that they were whispering about the rebels.

"Lucien is sure?" the younger man asked.

"Aye," Jacob replied. "A man from the Crown arrived this evening to confirm it. We're expected to supply double the grain from last year at a third of the price."

The other man clicked his tongue. "This is not going to help her majesty's case, is it? Won't be long before the liberators have people begging to join."

Meryn clenched her fists. Her face twisted into a scowl. The liberators, that was what the rebels and their supporters called themselves. At least it had a better ring than their previous name, the Kingslayers.

"Surely Lucien will see sense now," the man muttered. "Those bloody Silverpins are going to take everything we've got. The boy more or less implied that a month ago."

Her muscles tensed. The boy. Nate! It had to be!

Jacob shrugged. "My brother is stubborn."

"We can only keep pilfering for so long. Marcus is going to notice the numbers shifting soon."

"Quiet. Do we want my brother or his fellow queen-loving friends to hear? I do not think so, not when we have such a chance."

"Your brother would never throw you in prison. He would never allow you to be hung as a traitor."

"Perhaps. But we should be careful. Some of those here are not so willing."

People like me, Meryn thought at first. These men were blatantly stealing supplies from the town and sending them to the rebels. Their conversation indicated that at least. And they seemed to know something about Nathaniel. She just needed to discover what that was.

Just as she settled in to wait, Jacob Wayne noticed her. His eyebrows shot up.

"And who are you?" he inquired, leaning forward. "Newcomer? Traveler?"

"Passing through," Meryn replied, "though I may stay a bit depending on how long it takes your family to reach our objective.

Jacob's face dimmed. "Ah, so you're that soldier who marched in here this evening." He said soldier like it was an insult, as though it was loathsome that she was affiliated with the military.