Chapter One

"Oh, Nina, this is such a great opportunity!" My mother cries as she reads the letter. I cringe at the use of my full name, but I don't push. It's the letter.

The one that, if I filled it out, would put me in a big pot of names to be drawn to compete for something I didn't want. 

"Mom, I'll think about it." I said, only to calm her excitement. I didn't want to crush her at this moment. I needed time to think of a good excuse. One that even she can't turn down.

I walk from the kitchen down the hall and into my small room to avoid all of the chatter in the house. I laid down on my bed and closed my eyes.

I didn't want to fill out the form. I didn't want to possibly be whisked away from everything I was used to, my entire life, just to become a pawn for some stuffy prince. Not like I'd even get that far, considering that just about every girl in Carolina who's eligible is entering, but I don't even want the chance. 

Eventually, I knew it was time to step out of my cave and go help with dinner. I timidly opened the door and headed into the kitchen. Mom looked up at me, and I could see the excited gleam in her eyes, but she didn't speak. I knew how much this meant to her, considering we were Fives and only three steps away from literally nothing. 

The caste system was made up of eight tiers, the Ones being the royals. I was happy being a Five, though. I mean, I had everything I wanted. 

I helped toast the thin bread and finish the pasta, as Mom stirred up the tea. Bree came bounding up to the table with excitement, followed shortly after by Elias. 

Dad came out of the studio and joined us as well. As soon as we sat down, Mom pulled the letter out from behind her. I groan slightly.

She glares at me, but she refuses to let my lack of enthusiasm kill her mood. She starts reading.

"To the House of Singer..." She starts dramatically.

I wished her to stop in my mind, but the rest of the family was going to find out eventually, so I kept myself from interrupting her.

Bree is already giddy. She's 13, almost exactly four years younger than me. I already know that she's going to think of the Selection as awfully romantic.

Elias didn't really know what was happening, but he still perked up. 

"The recent census has confirmed that a single woman between the ages of sixteen and twenty currently resides in your home. We would like to make you aware of an upcoming opportunity to honor the great nation of Illéa." Bree was bouncing up and down in her chair. "Nini! That's you!" She squeals excitedly. "I know, goofball." I reply, trying to keep my tone light.

"Our beloved prince, Richard Bowen," Mom continues, "is coming of age this month. As he ventures into this new part of his life, he hopes to move forward with a partner, to marry a true Daughter of Illéa. If your eligible daughter, sister, or charge is interested in possibly becoming the bride of Prince Richard and the adored princess of Illéa, please fill out the enclosed form and return it to your local Province Services Office. One woman from each province will be drawn at random to meet the prince. Participants will be housed at the lovely Illéa Palace in Angeles for the duration of their stay. The families of each participant will be generously compensated for their service to the royal family."

I think I'm the only one who caught on to how Mom drew out the words "generously compensated". 

Even Dad was smiling at this point. Little Elias didn't truly understand what the big deal was, but he was paying attention. 

"I'm absolutely positive he'd love you, Nina!" Mom says with a happy sigh. "You're beautiful." 

"Shush, Mom. If anything, I'm average looking." I reply, swatting at her. "Nins, you're beautiful. You know how I know that?" Bree looks up at me and asks.

"How?" I reply curiously. "Because you look just like me, and I'm pretty." She replies. I can't help but giggle at that. But it's true, Bree is gorgeous, even at 13. She has the same shiny, dark hair and chocolate brown eyes as I do, but somehow hers are even more stunning.

"Well, thank you, Bree. But even if I entered, I probably wouldn't be chosen. So, why does it matter?" I reply, trying to brush off the subject. I knew it wouldn't work. As Mom got up with her plate, she replied, "You have a good a chance as anyone else in Carolina. You shouldn't give that up." 

"Elias, time to get ready for bed." She adds. He gets up with a groan.

Me too, buddy. I think.

I help Mom clean up the kitchen, and then I head to my bedroom. I sigh and sit down on my bed. From the little I've seen of Prince Richard on TV, he looks like the exact opposite of the kinda guy I'd like. He's so....rigid. 

I get out my songbook and scribble down some lyrics as I wait for midnight. Right before the hour, I sneak into the kitchen to grab some leftovers. I wrap them in a towel and make my way out of my window and into the backyard. It was very dark, with only a sliver of a moon giving any sort of light. It was way past curfew, and even though I'm usually a rules follower, I'm more than happy to break this one.

I climb up the ladder to the old treehouse very carefully, one hand still holding the plate of food. As soon as I get into the little space and my eyes adjust to the dimness, I see his figure in the corner. 

He moves slightly to light the single candle we leave in here. Anything more, and it could be seen from the house. 

Once the candle illuminates some of the tiny box, he smirks at me and says, "Hey, gorgeous."

AN: Thanks for reading! I hope that you enjoyed. :) -Averie 

***Inspired by "The Selection" by Kiera Cass***