Chapter Two

"Oh, shush. Don't call me gorgeous. I've heard that word too many times today." I say, jokingly exasperated. 

But by the way EJ was looking at me, it wasn't helping my case. "I can't help it, Nins. You're the most beautiful girl I've ever seen." He replies. 

Even though the tree house was only a five by five cube, it was my safe place. Our safe place. 

I snuggle up closer to him and he cups my face. His beautiful, crystal blue eyes pierced through me, and before I knew it, his lips were on mine. Even though we've kissed hundreds of times, every kiss takes my breath away. He kisses me as if I'm the only thing keeping him sane on this planet. There was so much passion in between us, I could almost feel sparks.

He puts his hands on my back to bring me closer to him, and I take in his soap smell. He always takes showers at night. 

I cradle up against his chest. "Sorry, I'm kind of in a sour mood. I got the stupid Selection notice today in the mail, and my mom wouldn't shut up about." I say. 

"Oh, the letter. We got two." EJ replies with a sigh. 

I had forgotten the twins had just turned sixteen. I smiled. I wished right then it could be one of them. If they made it, let alone won, their family would be so much better off. EJ wouldn't have to work every waking hour of the day just to get food on the table.

I sat up as EJ spread his legs so I could sit in between them. He focused on my face as if this would be the last time he'd ever see it. It made me feel...loved.

I returned the look. Even though he was a Six, he was the most attractive guy I'd ever seen. His messy chestnut brown hair paired perfectly with his slightly tanned skin from the outside work. 

All I wanted in that moment was to kiss him, to lie there and forget about everything going on outside of the little tree house. But EJ's growling stomach snapped me out of my daze.

"I brought a snack." I say, reaching for the plate. "Oh, did you?" He asks, lightly. But I could tell he was really hungry. I don't know when the last time he ate was, because he was constantly giving up meals so his six younger siblings could have something to eat. 

I take a grape off the plate and nibble on it, to make it seem like we're sharing the meal, but I let EJ eat the rest. 

After he finishes, his eyes meet mine. "I think you should do it." 

I'm taken aback. "EJ, are you crazy? I mean, it would support my family for years, but...I can't leave you." I ask, searching his eyes. 

He puts a hand on my face. "I just can't stand the thought of holding you back. I just want...you to try. For me." He finally says. 

"Okay. I'll fill it out. But only for you." I reply, after a few seconds, before planting a firm kiss on his lips. "I love you." I say, before slipping out into the light of the moon.

The next morning, Mom wakes me up far too early for my liking. "Nini!" She says, excitedly. I prop my head up. She never calls me anything but Nina, much to my distaste. 

"I have a proposition for you." She says, sitting on my the edge of my bed. "Go on." I say, sleepily. "If you fill out the form, I will let you keep half of what you make in your future gigs." Mom says.

I shoot up out of bed. I cover my mouth in shock. I try to play it off. "That'd be great, really." I reply. "So you'll do it?" Mom asks, shocked that it didn't take any more pushing.

But after my talk with EJ last night, I was already planning on filling out the form, so now this is just an added bonus. With the money I make, EJ and I might be able to afford a small wedding! 

"Yes, I'll do it." I reply. As soon as the words leave my mouth, Mom is immediately giddy. 

I get ready in the best clothes that I have, which is a blue tunic dress. It's kind of itchy, but it's the best I've got. I brush my hair, clip back a strand with the clip that Dad had gotten me years ago, and add a little bit of lipgloss. 

I help Mom fill out the form, and then we start the walk to the Province Services Office. 

Even from a distance, I can already spot EJ's mom and his beautiful twin sisters, Stella and Hazel. Mom waves, and Mrs. Caswell returns it with a bright smile.

Once we get up behind them, we notice just how long the line is. As I'm scanning the line, I realize that some of the girls were insanely dressed up. 

Mrs. Caswell notices my confusion. "It slipped that this might be more than just a lottery. So some girls are putting in a lot of effort." She explains.

I glance down at my outfit and hair. I look fine..better than usual. But not nearly as done up as half of the other girls. Some others, however, were like me and didn't get the memo. I spotted one girl who looked like she had just gotten off of work. 

I can tell Mom is a little bit disgruntled at the fact that other girls might have an advantage over me. I think Mrs. Caswell can tell, because she says, "But you don't need all that extra stuff to be beautiful, Nina." Stella and Hazel nod in agreement. 

I blush. "Thank you." I reply. "But if it's a beauty competition, y'all would definitely win." I say to Stella and Hazel. It's true, though. Their eyes are like the color of the ocean, with flecks of green and gold mixed in, and their hair falls down their shoulders in stunning dark brown curls. 

Mrs. Caswell changes the topic, and as soon as she says the name of her eldest son, my ears perk up. "EJ has been taking on extra jobs lately. And on top of that, he just seems...happier. He has a certain glow to him." She says.

Mom's eyebrows raise. "Do you think he's met a girl?" She asks.

"That's what I'm guessing! I think he's saving up for a wedding." She says. I'm in shock. He's saving up for a wedding? After that moment, I can't tear the smile off of my face. Once I get to the  front of the line, and it's time to get my picture, I'm still glowing with happiness.

I can't believe that I'm actually going to be EJ's wife.