News

Life was bliss.

At least, Rachel would like to think life was bliss, given the fact Ryo's presence made her think less about how Lance was missing let alone how much of an annoyance her younger brother was when he was home. Of course, they didn't discuss Keith or his other brother for that matter, though in the back of her mind she wanted to know exactly what went on at the garrison to cause Ryo's brother to drop out.

Instead, life went on with Ryo diving into the work on the farm, yet she found herself actually enjoying the work, particularly when she didn't find herself stuck in the kitchen cooking. The farm work was also hard work, meaning she found herself quite tired by the end of the day, although this wasn't anything new. She still found herself going to sleep in the room that belongs to her and Veronica, yet Veronica was at the garrison.

Ryo – Ryo stayed in the room with Luis, which was the room once shared between him and Marco before Marco got married which resulted in an eventual house being built in another part of the farm for his wife and two children. Her niece and nephew did their morning chores before heading off to the bus, until school let out for the summer, yet they pestered Ryo constantly despite the fact he must be tired from all of the work.

He still wrote his songs, and often he hummed a tune he'd come up with, regardless of whether he was doing farm work or not. She also saw him start to smile, making her realize him not smiling felt strange, given the pictures he sent her all involved him smiling, although he never showed his teeth. She still remembered the one of him and his grandmother, yet it seemed he adored the old woman a lot. "How is your grandmother taking the news regarding your brothers?"

Ryo's mouth twisted into a frown. "I'm not sure she knows."

"I thought..."

"That I'd tell her. No, I wouldn't do that to her, plus it's my grandfather's place to decide who in the family learns what. Some matters are more private than others, even though we are a rather large family."

"I see, but I was asking if you've seen her."

Ryo took a deep breath; her questions made the smile fade away. "No. She'd know something was upsetting me, and I don't want to – she took Takashi's apparent death badly, but to be honest, when we thought Akira was dead, that was worse. She practically raised us growing up. They both did. Our parents, they weren't in our..." Ryo shook his head. "Well, our dad was in Keith's life. What he was thinking, I don't know."

"Sorry. I didn't mean to upset you."

"No. I like the fact I can talk to you about these things." Ryo looked up at the sky, his eyes narrowing as the clouds rolled in. "My father, he disappeared after Akira was presumed dead by everyone in the family, so – it kind of now feels like he kidnapped him, but then I remember Keith didn't even know who I was. I'm not sure if that's because of dad, or something dad was keeping from us. I can't ask him."

"Why not?"

"Our father died in a fire. He was a firefighter on the garrison, but Takashi – he's honestly an idiot like him, so I wasn't surprised when he..." Ryo looked at the ground. "I wished he would die. I wished they both would. It feels so stupid and hypocritical, given what I told you."

"Yeah, well..." Rachel let out a sigh. "I don't know what to say."

"I kind of wish you would chew me out."

"I don't think my situation with Lance actually compares to the situation with your older brother and dad. The hurt you felt isn't coming from them embarrassing you, but the fact they kept someone important to you from seeing you."

"There wasn't a message from either of them."

"Your dad and older brother."

"No. I mean, Akira and Takashi. Takashi sent back a message, yet there wasn't anything for me, yet there was nothing from Keith either. There isn't a video, but I guess he doesn't think there's a reason to send any video home, given the fact he has Takashi, but..."

"You shouldn't give up on him being alive, of getting to resolve things. I want you to be able to resolve things, even if it takes time. I..." Rachel paused. "I should want to resolve things between Lance and me, but I keep imagining it turning out wrong in so many different ways."

Ryo tilted his head slightly. "Well, I think that I'm wanting to resolve things as well. No, I know that I do. As for how it goes down, I think we could eventually resolve things, even though it would take some work on my part. Actually, I think I want to try and resolve things with Takashi as well, now that I've had a chance to think about it. Despite the fact I'm still mad at him for not telling me Akira was alive, he's still important to Akira and not trying would make things worse."

"Well, I hope..." Rachel stating she hoped he would have the chance was interrupted by the sound of her niece and nephew hurrying down the road, Luis hot on their heals. "What's going on?"

"Uncle Lance is coming home!"

"He's coming home, Aunt Ray-Ray!"

Luis shoved his hands into his pocket. "This Voltron thing they're a part of..." Ryo turned his head away as if expecting some kind of bad news regarding his brothers. "Hold on. We've news that they're all okay, including both of your brothers. They're making arrangements for us to go and see them, but specifically for their spacecraft to land. Actually, these two are excited because..."

"We're going to see the shuttle land!"

"Uncle Lance talked a lot about it taking off."

"Um, well, it's not exactly a shuttle. I mean..." Luis let out a sigh, looking at Rachel. The corners of her mouth twisted slightly, knowing they'd not told the younger two about aliens, yet she wasn't sure how they'd keep two precocious children from blabbing such a state secret.