-Chapter 9-

Chapter 9

"He's been freakin' shot," I interjected, of course finding any way to argue with Cat Boy. "I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna just sit here and watch him bleed to death."

"Well then, what is your brilliant plan?" Cameron responded, raising his voice slightly. The volume didn't go up much - at least he had that much sense - but the intensity of his tone was raised. "I'm not going to let you just charge in there and get yourself shot too!"

I let out a long, dramatic sigh, clutching the roots of my hair with my hands. Perhaps it was a dramatic show, but the situation called for it. "I don't know." I dragged out the word 'know' a little, trying to get across my frustration, as if me practically ripping out my hair wasn't enough of a sign. If he didn't think I was crazy before, he had no doubts now.

"They said they were leaving soon, so let's just wait until they go," he argued. "If we go out there and prevent their escape, Joseph will only suffer longer. Lacie, use sense."

I hated that he was right. But I couldn't just sit around and rip my hair out slowly. I crawled forward again, peeping around the corner. At least spying on them would give me some sense of productivity, and maybe satisfy the urge to go out there and rescue Joseph like a ninja assassin. I had a feeling my daydreams would fall a little short, since I had learned most of my moves from watching Black Widow and had yet to practice executing a single trick.

As I was surveying the lot, letting my mind run wild about the possible reasons they could be here, a face suddenly popped into view, inches from mine. I let out a strangled squeal, my vocal chords not fully delivering the scream.

"Lacie!" I heard Cameron's voice behind me as I tumbled backwards. My heart was pounding from the abrupt scare as one of the burglars stepped forward, his body looming over me. I boosted myself up on my hands and began to quickly crabwalk away, hoping to attempt an escape. It's a pretty unfair race, though, when your opponent has two feet on the ground and only has to walk to keep up.

I had yet to see Cameron, and I hoped he had the sense to run as soon as he saw the man's ugly face peer around the corner. Perhaps the man hadn't seen him and wouldn't pursue him. I felt a small ache that I'd been left alone, though. I'd really expected more from Cameron, but it was dumb to have expectations of a near-stranger. Maybe he'd gone to get help.

You were the help, stupid. Ugh. We failed at rescues, and now there was nobody to rescue us. The cashiers were most likely cozy in their toilet paper fort right now, and heaven knows where Lamar was. Probably knocked out or tied up somewhere, since these burglars apparently had a tendency for that.

"Hey," the man spoke, his voice matching his ugly face. "You're the one that wormed away from Seth, aren't ya?" Nice job slipping the word 'worm' in there, fella.

"Ha, that'd be me," I faked a laugh, primarily out of fear. My heart was pounding harder than before, with my back on the ground, laying here completely vulnerable. "Look, don't hurt m-" As I was speaking, he stepped closer, and that was the only change I needed. My leg immediately shot up, straight in between his legs, and pretty soon he was doubled over in pain.

Scrambling to my feet, I ran down the aisle, but by now another man had come to check out where his friend had disappeared to. He rounded the corner just in time to see my fabulous escape. So much for needing a rescue. Apparently nobody could rescue me but myself. Thanks a lot, Cameron. Where was he even at?

My ears picked up the pounding of feet behind me, and I picked up pace. Since I was smaller than the men, I had to be faster, but my breathing wasn't stellar. It didn't take long for my breaths to start arriving in sharp gasps, and my lungs felt like I was trying to suck in icy air. I needed to pause; needed to catch my breath, but the man was on my tail.