Chapter Twenty-Four

Walker was nursing a wicked headache. 

Johnathan threw up out the window on the way into the police station. 

Hannah seemed to be more chipper than usual. 

They had yet to hear from the rest of the team. They'd agreed to meet back at the station for nine though, and so it didn't matter how rough the boys felt, they were in the car listening to Hannah hum along to the radio as Walker drove them to work like normal commuters.

"Alright Morris, fess up," Walker demanded. "You have some super hangover cure and it's cruel not to share."

Hannah laughed. "I just don't really get them; you'll just have to come to terms with the fact that I'm better at drinking than you."

Johnathan groaned from the back seat. "Keep your voices down, goddammit," he muttered.

Hannah chuckled again and focused back on the road and the radio.

"At least I am still better at drinking than Miller," Walker said with fake pride.

He was in a good mood despite the headache. They'd managed to go an entire night without a new body showing up with any of their names on it. Or in it. Metaphorically or literally. Maybe the killing would slow and give them the chance to get the upper hand. 

He doubted it but he wasn't going to fret until the next body dropped. They all deserved the mental break that a night of alcohol-induced fun had provided. It seemed for the first time; they were a team. Not just the three currently in the car, but also the four others they'd reunite with inside the station.

Walker smiled to himself, not noticing Hannah catch a glance of him. He felt lucky to have this team.

Hannah couldn't imagine what he was smiling about, she knew his head was killing him despite his attempts to pretend otherwise; she'd seen him take four Advil and two Tylenol in one gulp as they left their hotel. Not to mention the serial killer out to get them.

She watched his secret smile to himself take years off his face. It made her wonder how quickly Walker had to grow up; he'd joined the military at 18, she knew that much. The profiler in her knew he'd had a rough childhood, but she wasn't going to pry into that. It was none of her business and she knew it would only ruin the little rapport they gained thus far.

And man did she love the rapport they had now. She could make him laugh now, and he didn't glare when she asked stupid questions. Hannah felt like a part of a team; it was a team she'd die for if the situation asked for it.

The car in front of them slammed on the breaks unexpectedly. Diligent as ever, even hung-over Walker followed suit, jerking them into the stop at the red light just outside the station.

"I'll walk from here," Johnathan mumbled as he swung the door open and almost fell out into the street to throw up again.

Hannah hopped out behind him.

"Where are you going?" Walker asked through the passenger window he was rolling down, dubiously.

"We'll meet you inside! I'm not letting Johnathan pass out on the street." She wrapped an arm around Johnathan as he slung his over her shoulders.

"I think I'm in love you Hannah," he said. Dehydration was causing delirium.

"You know I'm not your type Johnathan. Come on, let's get inside and get water into you."

Hannah tried to feign seriousness but in all the drama of this case, she needed the laughs where they came. She began giggling as she led Johnathan away from the car and towards the station, as the light turned green and Walker drove into the parking lot.