『*』T W E N T Y ☼ T W O 『*』

Chapter 22: needing to catch your breath

March 1977

A girl was sat at the edge of the Black lake watching the sunset. The girl, Annabelladonna Black had  her chin resting on her knees. Everything had been so chaotic in her life and she just needed some time along to remind herself that she could breathe. When her parents wrote her and threatened her brother it was as if her lungs stopped working. She had nightmares of either drowning or suffocating every night and sometimes it seemed like someone was trying to send her a sign. For Bella breathing got harder everyday. With constant reminders of the war, her parents,  her friends that she had to leave behind, her true family in France and the possibility of having to leave them, and the stress of getting decent grades, Bella just needed some time to not think. Or at least to not think of the real world.

Instead Bella thought of the giant squid, how did it get there? Could the Slytherin see the merfolk from their common room windows? She'd have to ask Regulus about that. She thought of the muggle world, they had more gizmos and gadgets than Belladonna could ever comprehend. Like the coffee machine. Asher's parents had one in their cafe, she still doesn't know how it works but my Merlin does she love it. She thought about muggle wars and how the wizarding war reminded her of one particularly brutal one.

After Bella briefly let her mind drift further into the war she reeled her thoughts back in, pulling them back to lighter, happier thoughts. Like the time when Ares dyed Gwaine's hair pink in his sleep, or the time Apollo released his pet snake in the girls dorms after they said some particularly nasty things about Bella. She wandered down memory lane until she heard footsteps approaching her. She shifted her gaze up and saw Sirius sitting down next to her.

"Hey sis."

"Hello Sirius." The girls voice was soft, delicate, she sounded how butterscotch candy tasted. You could tell by looking at her that she'd been crying. Bella was never good at hiding her emotions, it was always her eyes that gave her away. They could either be holding a violent hurricane wanting to escape, or a cold blue ocean, waves crashing against each other and tearing anything in its path down.

But when she was happy.

When she was happy her eyes looked as if they were just a reflection of the sky, a never ending light, the kind that you could just stare into for hours. The stars couldn't even begin to compete with the glisten in her eyes, it was breathtaking to anyone who had the courage to look.

"Something's been going on with you lately. You've barely smiled all week."

"I've been fine Sirius, there's really nothing to worry about."