Cutlass Anne - Chapter Forty-Eight

Chapter Forty-eight

"Let's just marry here." I stood next to Flynn on the deck of our ship.

"What?"

"After Jane and Christopher wed, we can easily decorate the ship and find an officiate to marry us right here."

"I thought you wanted to marry in the bay with the ocean," he said.

"Why wait?"

"Why rush?" he asked.

"After my recent brush with death I have come to realize that we are not guaranteed life, and those who should get it don't. So with the odds against us, we may as well do it."

"That is not very romantic." He folded his arms over his chest and stared at me.

I smiled and held onto his arm. "I just do not want to wait till tomorrow what can be done today. I love you with everything that I am, and I want us to marry."

"All right. After Jane and Christopher have their day tomorrow, we shall wed."

He kissed the side of my head as we watched people rush about on the pier.

"Anne! Anne, what are you doing!" I heard Jane shouting from the dock below.

"I was enjoying a quiet moment with my future husband, dear sister."

"There is no time for such foolishness! We must get you in your bridesmaid dress! Now please!" she yelled up at me.

"Yes, your majesty." I laughed.

"This is not a laughing matter. We only have four days to prepare for my wedding!"

"And five to prepare for mine." I smiled.

"Yours? You are getting married the day after me?" she asked.

"Aboard The Gilded Lady."

Her face dropped and she looked at me as if I said I had sprouted horns.

"On a ship?"

"Yes, Jane. On a ship."

"Why would you do that?"

"I like my ship." I pouted. "Some flowers and she will look as beautiful as any church."

She crinkled her nose, rolled her eyes, and stalked off down the dock. She paused halfway down and spun on her heels. "You do not have a wedding gown!"

"I have something."

"What?" she asked.

"Do not be angry, but it is mother's dress."

"That old outdated thing?"

"I think it is rather fetching."

"It is so old," she complained.

"I suppose it is a good thing I will be wearing it then."

"You are doing everything else so odd, why not your wedding gown. You will not be picking out my dress," she said. "Or the color."

"It is my wedding," I called after her.

"Yes, and so far you have made some interesting choices."

"Can we just go without any more insults to my ideas, please?" I trailed behind her.

***

I stood in front of the large, white house holding the bouquet of flowers that Jane and her soon-to-be mother-in-law had arranged. The back lawn overlooked the river and was rather large. It amazed me how fast the two women were able to get things put together and in place for the nuptials. The dress Jane had chosen for me was not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. It was a lovely shade of green with sleeves to my elbows. Unfortunately, it did have an awful lot of ruffles, bows, and an impossibly tight bodice. As the music started up I turned to see my lovely little sister emerge from the grand house in her beautiful white gown. Tears sprung to my eyes as I watched my little Jane walk down the aisle. She was no longer just a baby. She was a woman. A young woman, but a woman all the same.

Christopher had a smile plastered on his face. His eyes widened, and he seemed genuinely happy. Flynn stood opposite me as the best man. Tomorrow the roles would be reversed. My heart was aflutter with all the love and happiness in the air. It was a welcome change to the chaos and torment we had been through. Despite John Jacks being somewhere out in the world, we had a moment of peace. We had safety and serenity. As the music came to an end, the preacher began in on the nuptials. This was always the most beautiful as well as the most boring part of the entire preceding. I tried to pay attention, but something toward the back of the crowd grabbed my attention. He was tall, handsome, and looked familiar. It was unfortunate that his hat was pulled down over his eyes. The corners of his lips turned upward for a sly smile.

"John Jacks!" I gasped.

"Shh," someone behind me whispered.

I rolled my eyes and looked back for the man, but he was gone.

Was he even there? Am I losing my mind?

The preacher finished up, and everyone began to socialize. Jane was the center of attention and she loved it. I perused the small groups that formed, trying to find the man again.

"What is wrong, Anne?" Flynn asked, kissing my cheek lightly.

"Nervous, I suppose."

"Don't be. Nothing is going to happen."

"I hope you're right."

"I am. Go be with your sister now, and tomorrow we marry."

"I cannot wait," I said, looking around for my sister.