1:8

I could hear the shouting and growls of Outsiders. I could also see J'Hero and Thief of Space up ahead. They were creeping around the piles of rubble, hiding from the Outsiders. What was funny was that the Outsiders were not here. They sounded like they were only in the courtyard. We were in the remains of the castle.

I crept up to the nearest pile of rubble. Thief of Space was right around the left corner, so I headed right. I walked silently, jumping neatly over bricks and stone. I saw J'Hero stalk around the pile ahead, heading towards Thief of Space. I knew Outsiders could sense the presence of magic being used, so we all had to walk, not fly, not teleport, and we couldn't communicate through our thoughts. We were like mortals now.

I pulled out my knife and slowly followed J'Hero and Thief of Space. They were slow, but definitely smart enough to know that they have to keep moving. Unfortunately, I was very impatient.

They led me past piles and hills and even mountains of stone. I had to duck, jump, and hide behind the mountains of rubble. But they never saw me, and that was what mattered. J'Hero and Thief of Space were by trees up ahead. They were so dumb! They were in the palace garden! The court was the other way!

I ran to the courts, deciding to leave them. As the voices of Outsiders became louder, I slowed to a walk. Sure enough, the courts were loaded with people in black ninja suits.

Before I attacked, I decided to read some words of encouragement from my guardian. At least, I thought they were encouraging. When I saw the paper, it was in some different type of language. But I decided to try and read it anyway.

"Ïćęfírē, Śäfírę, äñd Jæfïré."

* * * * * * * *

Thief of Space's hands were sore. She couldn't feel her feet. "That was a long trip."

J'Hero was hiding behind a tiny lump of rubble. "Where are the courts? This place is a maze!"

"I know, right?" Thief of Space looked around. Then she saw a giant mountain of rubble close by. She walked over and decided to climb it.

"What. Are. You. Doing?"

Thief of Space struggled to reach the top. She was several feet off the ground. But she needed to be higher up to see. "I'm trying to find the courts."

"Oh," J'Hero sighed. He looked back up at her. "Is that hard for you?"

Thief of Space trembled slightly before regaining balance. "It is pretty tough, but I'm almost to the top." A few pebbles flew down, distracting her. But she had reached the top.

"How's the view up there?"

Thief of Space could see everything. The castle remains, the entrance, the garden, the courts. The courts... The courts! "I found the Outsiders! They're in the courtyard!"

J'Hero Bro and Thief of Space ran towards the courts, hearing the chattering get louder and louder.

Then the chatters were replaced by screams and growling.

"What's happening...?" J'Hero asked. He could hear the ground trembling, he could see explosions and fire appear.

Thief of Space gasped. "Are they being attacked already?"

J'Hero nodded. "I guess so, m'lady. But it can't be an army of mortals," he observed.

"Why not?"

"Magic is being used."

There was a silence before she replied, "Should we fight?"

Pulling out his cutlass he was given from Icefire, he answered, "Give me a good reason not to."

* * * * * * * *

Something was wrong. Something was very very wrong. I tried not to scream as fur grew on my neck. I took off one of my gloves in fear. My hand was covered in dark brown fur. My skin looked like it was swelling, and I could hear bones cracking and reforming from inside me. What was wrong with me?

I hid behind the hill of rubble as I continued to change. Fur was sprouting everywhere. My bones were replaced, and I crouched down on all fours. My vision blurred horrendously and I could barely see my nose. My nose... It was long and hairy. A black tip formed at the top. My tongue increased in size and I felt it flail to the side. I was panting.

From my behind, I felt soft tail fur shoot out. I looked around and saw a dark brown tail with black stripes. I stared at my clothes, which were being ripped apart at the minute. I tried not to panic more as my clothes disappeared. My hands were large furry paws. Claws flew out and scraped the stone beneath me.

My magic abilities became a storm of rage as I lost control of my senses.

Feed me... Blood, blood. I smell blood. Darkness, water, light. I smell the bones and flesh of men. I smell it.

I crept forward, sniffing the air.

Men... I smell the sick taste of mortal men. Hungry, thirsty, I will be fed.......