Chapter One

"James Fleamont Potter, you are such a jerk! I will never, and I mean never, date you!" Lily spat, rushing over to Severus, who was lying in a crumpled heap on the ground, his hair hanging limply in front of his face.

Behind her, James' face flushed bright red, and he dropped his head as he realized what he had done.

"Are you alright?" Lily questioned, her voice low as she helped Severus to his feet. The boy in the Slytherin robes looked around the crowd that had gathered around where the Marauders had been torturing him.

Eyes landing on Lucius Malfoy's disgusted and sneering face, Severus pulled his arm away from Lily. The action took her by surprise, and she reached for him again.

"Severus!" She cried as he leapt away from her again.

"Don't touch me! I don't need help from a filthy Mudblood like you!" Snape snarled, eyes darting towards Lucius who gave an approving nod before turning and beginning to walk away. With a sigh of relief, Severus looked back at where Lily was standing before him.

Instant guilt filled him as he saw how red her face was, and how, through the anger, her eyes gleamed with tears.

"Lily, I'm sorry, I-" a slap across the face caught him mid-sentence, and his hand flew to his cheek.

"Don't ever speak to me again," she growled, her voice low and dangerous, before she turned and disappeared into the castle.

*

-Two months later-

"James, Sirius, the mail's here!" Euphemia Potter called up the stairs to both boys. Sirius appeared in the hallway and padded down the stairs.

"Good morning," he smiled, "James is still asleep, so I figured I'd come grab the mail for us both."

Euphemia ruffled his long hair affectionately, before giving him a gentle push towards the kitchen.

It had been almost a week since Sirius had showed up, bloodied and bruised, in James' personal Floo Euphemia shuddered as she recalled the showdown that occurred a few nights ago when Walburga Black showed up via the Potter family's Floo.

"If you come near my son again, I swear Euphemia, you'll be sorry!"

"YOUR son? He showed up and crawled out of my fireplace and collapsed, barely breathing!" She had cried, taking a step closer to the Black heiress.

"Oh that was just him- he's got a bit of a flare for the dramatics. SIRIUS!" Walburga had screeched. Her face turned redder and redder as the woman encroached further, lying straight to her face.

"I don't think so! I know a curse when I see them! What was it for this time?"

"It was just a bit of tough love. Discipline is needed sometimes when parenting- not that you would know!" Walburga scoffed.

Sirius had appeared at the top of the stairs, then, freezing when his eyes landed on his furious mother. His face had grown paler, and he began to tremble visibly. Behind him, James appeared, and when he saw Walburga in the living room, he had pushed Sirius back and stood slightly in front of him.

"Sirius, let's go!" Walburga screamed.

"No," James had said, which made both her and Walburga whirl around to face the boys.

"James, no," Sirius had pleaded, but James didn't listen.

"Stand back child! This has nothing to do with you!" Walburga shrieked, taking a step towards the staircase.

"James, dear, please. Take Sirius back to the bedroom," she had been desperate at that point, not wanting one of her boys to get caught in the crossfires.

"No!" Walburga growled. "My son is coming with me!"

"No he's not!" James had countered, positioning himself completely in front of Sirius, right as Walburga aimed her wand and shouted "CRUCIO!"

James had crumpled to the ground and fell down the stairs, writhing in pain.

"HOW DARE YOU?" She screamed, whipping her wand out and pointing it at Walburga. "Get out of my house!"

Sirius ran to the bottom of the stairs and knelt over James' writhing body.

"Crucio!" Walburga aimed again at her son, but James pushed Sirius out of the way and took another curse. He screamed and his entire body twitched uncontrollably.

"GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!" She had screamed, waving her wand and closing in on the witch and flicking her way back and forth, the air around her crackling, heavy with magic as she chased Walburga towards the fireplace.

"GET OUT! How dare you touch my sons?!" Cowering, Walburga threw a handful of Floo powder into the fireplace and vanished into the flames.

She lowered her wand and threw herself on the ground to where James lay panting and twitching in pain with the after affects of the spell.

"Sirius, darling, go fetch me a cold washcloth and towel please," she had ordered, her voice low and gentle. Sirius was still shaking as he ran off into the kitchen. When he returned, she took the cloth and dabbed James' face carefully, and placed the towel behind his head.

Tears were forming in Sirius' eyes. "I could have taken it. He took the curse for me. I've taken them before, he hasn't. Why would he do that?"

Her face fell as she watched Sirius cry over her son. Reaching out, she had grasped his hand. "He loves you Sirius, and I do too. Why else would we have fought your mother instead of letting her take you back to that horrible place?"

"But why? Nobody has ever loved me before, why do you?" Sirius had sobbed, his free hand stroking James' hair like he had always done for Regulus.

"Because you're bloody amazing," James had muttered, still in obvious pain, but now regaining consciousness.

Euphemia blinked back tears as she brushed away memories of the other night. James had been resting a lot the past few days, and Sirius had been attached to his hip.

As Sirius entered the kitchen, Fleamont Potter lowered his newspaper and beamed at the boy.

"Good morning Sirius! There's some breakfast on the stove if you'd like!" Fleamont had missed the ordeal the other night, and had come home after his wife had called him in a panic. He now understood how bad Sirius' home life had been, and he was prepared to legally adopt him if it came to that.

"Thank you," Sirius gave him a small smile. "I just came to grab the mail."

Fleamont pointed to the pile of mail sitting on the table, before lifting the paper and resuming his reading.

Sirius sorted through the letters, before one particular item caught his eye. Quickly, he shoved it in his pocket and walked up the stairs, stepping into the bathroom and pulling the letter out and laughing as he saw who it was from, and who it was addressed to.

To James Potter, from Lily Evans.

Lily's words on the last day of school echoed through his head, and he let out a small laugh, muttering to himself- "Wotcher, Evans."

*

(A/N: I wanted to give everyone a sample of the Jily fanfic! I will continue this, but I just wanted to give a quick chapter sample before I decide which story I want to work on next! The next chapter will be as they're going into their seventh year [yes, I know the incident with Snape happened during fifth year in the books, but I'm changing the timeline a bit for the sake of time in this story]. I hope you enjoyed, and thanks for reading! Stay safe and healthy everyone!)