The Softness

My worn hands creaked like rusted levers. The smooth water rolled off my skin in gentle beads, my shoulders relaxed as I sank into the bath. I let out a long breath sending a stream of bubbles to the surface of the water. The water encased me like a mother cradling its child. I closed my eyes.

Beep

Beep

Beep....

Huh?

The shock of being torn away from such peace and tranquillity made my heart beat faster. suddenly my room was so harsh and angry, with eyes peering down at me discontentedly.  every body in my body cranked into gear as I peeled away from my warm cocoon of slumber. I slid off the bed resisting the urge to burrow back into the cotton canvas of my sheets and into that silent between place. my feet hit the cold wood and my back cracked as I stood up. The sun was fully up by now, It looked like a nice day out. I bet the wind smelled fresh, like flowers, days like these always smell better. 

I threw on a thick flannel shirt that way laying on the ground, the ridged morning air was still chilling my to the bone. my apartment doesn't have a proper heater so its often cold.  today feels like a good day to make a coffee. I still need time to process that vivid dream, I could have sworn the water was real. I opened my bleach white door and exited into the main room. 

my sofa sat vacant, the living room was devoid of people. A few drink rings stained the dark wood coffee table but other then that the room was spotless. I wandered past the small dinning room to my kitchen, there was a large open part of the small room so I could see the sun over the patio window.  I turned on my old, loud, coffee machine. The steady rumble helped me focus on organising my thoughts. Dreams so vivid usually take awhile to process, my body yearned to touch the soft water, opening my hands, toes and legs to it. the sweet and rich scent of coffee wafted through the room and flew to my nostrils, dragging me to the kitchen. I grab a blue mug and pour myself a cup from the pot, I splash in some creamer and a spoon full of sugar. the smell is heavenly the steam waving upwards hypnotically.

I wander to the sofa to get the best light from the patio, I live on the sixth floor so i'm quite high up, the sun peaks his head through my window kissing my face with warmth. I take the first sip of coffee, it tastes a little bitter with a bite of something else. I close my eyes listening to the solemn silence of my apartment.