Chapter 9 | Antiques and Trees

The weather was partly cloudy, the sun rays wasn't an ache in the eye when it reflected the car windows on the passenger seat, and there were no signs of gloominess in the sky. The breeze was even a breath of fresh air when Zakk started pulling down the windows, and somehow I found myself beaming over the road and stores we passed by, although I knew I was going to be stuck with the last guy I wanted to be stuck with since the incident yesterday.

So why was I here with Zakk alone in his car, still willing to ride with him for an hour or so?

1. Olly's unwavering tricks
2. Zakk's support for his little scamp of a brother
3. My elbow hitting the wrong silverware
4. Aunt V won't be home for the whole day (online shop duties)
5. Zakk and I are off to buy an identical silverware to replace the one my elbow broke we were found out
6. Ava and Olly declining to tag along
7. My relentless conscience

That's right about the full list of reasons why I should stop hoping I had any chance to get away with what I'd caused.

Last night was quite a blast, literally, but the fact that Aunt V wasn't home until evening, and the weather seemed to feel perfect, I guess the next morning was a lucky day for both Zakk and I. That's why I found myself casually hopping in the passenger's seat, wordless towards him, in which left him surprised at the sight of me conceding to his offer during breakfast. As if supporting an awkward silence, he also did not spare a word to acknowledge my presence but merely snickered amusedly at the road and started up the engine.

The mood simply went on that way; Zakk focusing on his driving while I seemed to sulk on the window, allowing the cool breeze to toss my hair back and forth.

We both seemed to be unaware of the right words to say to each other after last night, or merely start up a casual conversation about the antique, or anything for that matter. I was still evidently steamed up about the incident he had caused me to do, so I really did not mind if I remained mute for the whole ride. Besides, the only business I was going to take care of was reviving the antique I had broke and not another trivial argument with him again.

On the contrary, Zakk kept on glancing at me, apparently wanting to say something but then he seemed reluctant. 

To break the ice, I randomly asked, "Are we near yet?"

He briefly showed surprise and then he glanced at me. "I'm afraid not. The shop's located on the outskirts of town. One hour is just my estimation." He said. "You already hungry?"

I glanced at my watch only to learn it was already quarter to 12 and we had an early breakfast.

"I think Jim's Pizza House has a drive-through. Maybe we could grab something there." I suggested and he merely nodded.

"We can stop over, if you want."

I shook my head in refusal and preferred the drive-through so that we did not have to waste time to arrive at the antique shop. Zakk agreed and before we knew it, we could already sight a sign board of Jim's Pizza House at a distance. Zakk ordered two large burgers and two cans of soda adding on a small platter of fries.

"Thanks." I say in receiving my burger and drink.

Once again, we started up for the road and enjoyed our heavy snack along the way.

Thinking that the mood was getting too dull, I decided to turn on the radio in the car, briefly asking permission from him. "Do you mind?"

"Not at all."

I clicked the button and leaned back to my seat in a relaxed manner. Somehow the bad vibes in me meliorated and I began to be comfortable with Zakk near me again - at least I was not that mad anymore.