Chapter Nine:

"Emily, I have so much to tell you." 

Immie burst through the door of Emily's room to only find that her best friend was not there. She looked over to the wardrobe. Emily's work uniform was not there so she had to be working. 

Emily worked as a receptionist for her mother's business, a job she barely got any pay for doing. It consisted of usually just making coffee and tea for the higher business men and getting dirty looks from those who believed that they were above everybody else. 

It was a job she hated so much, but needed the money for the future. If she didn't have the money, her mother would only make remakes like- 'don't come to me when you've got no money just because you can't keep a good job'.

Tapping the pen impatiently in her hand onto the desk surface, she stared around the empty office. When her hair was tied up like this she felt like a complete idiot, a fancy white top on and a black skirt which, unlike any other woman's in the whole building, actually had some sort of lenght on it. She could barely walk around with the large heels on and when sat behind her receptionist desk, would hide the fact that she'd taken them off. 

"I've been looking for you for ages," said Immie, bursting through the door to the building. "Actually, I lie... it only took me about ten minutes to find you here." Her expression showed concern as she sat at the edge of the desk, looking down at Emily who hadn't even shown any knowingness of Immie being present. "You're just being very ignorant today, aren't you?... You didn't leave me a note or something telling me I'd have to try and find you at work." 

"Do you know that she can't hear you?"

Immie turned around to meet Sophia's large brown eyes. "What do you mean? Emily could hear me before." 

"That was until we realized that you have barely any time left- a few weeks at most and you'll run out of time. So, to move this quickly without your friend's feelings getting hurt from a long goodbye, we've made it easier for her."

Immie understood why they had done this. She wasn't sure if she could handle saying goodbye forever so maybe it was for the best. "So what do I do now?"

Sophia smiled with a small chuckle as she gazed at the floor below her, leaning on the reception desk. "Exactly what you had to do before," she said, as if it were the easiest question she could have been asked. "You're her bestfriend, you should know her well enough to know what you need to do to complete the balance before you leave forever this time. So make sure you do what you need to do as soon as you're able to do it. If you don't do it this time... you'll never have another chance." 

There was a moment of silence as Immie stared at her feet. She looked over her shoulder at the miserable Emily and nodded. "Okay," she said. Immie looked to her right to see Sophia but she was no longer there. "I guess this whole disappearing suddenly is a thing with you people," she said, under her breath. She walked towards the doors of the building silently, wondering what she would have to do.