Pulsing Shadows

I whirled around at the hushed whisper.

"Miss, down here!"

Despite all logic, I peered down into a wild growth of lilies. No one was there. I let go a breath when suddenly, what might have been a pair of eyes, appeared upon one of the lilies. I froze.

"Please don't be afraid, Miss. I just need to tell you something," whispered the flower. Though how it was speaking at all was an altogether other mystery, as it used no observable mouth to do so. Heart hammering, I leaned in closer, hoping no one was nearby to witness a foolish housekeeper holding a conversation with the garden.

"Ah⁠—"

"Miss, I'm sorry, but we have no time. Listen and listen close: the Jamesons are not who you think they are. They are a family of vampires. Yes, I know the notion is nigh on unbelievable⁠—but recall you are also talking with a lily, so don't laugh just yet. And all of the housekeepers⁠—the ones who've been mysteriously disappearing⁠⁠—they are sucking them dry. And I'm afraid you're next."

"Oh! I should leave immediately⁠—"

"It's too late for that. They'll find and hunt you down even if you're a thousand kilometres away. No, Miss, what you must do, you must listen and listen closely for this is crucial..."

***

The sound of my steps echoed against the cement walls of the crypts. I shivered. Not so much because of the dank chill, but more so of the dark secrets my employers so maleficently concealed: that they were dust-old vampires, who thrived on the life forces supplied by their housekeepers, instilling them into a ruby in the crypts below. According to the lily, the ruby would be pulsing a harsh red, flooding their tenants with eternal life. And I would have to destroy it.

The poorly-planned story of a penny dreadful, if I ever saw one, I thought. I rubbed my shaking arm over with a hand, trying to relieve the sudden appearance of goosebumps. There was no one here, the lily had promised; the Jamesons had gone off to their annual croquet event and wouldn't be back until sundown. And in their foolish confidence, they'd left nothing for protection.

Suddenly, something scuffed ahead of me. The breath I'd taken died in my lungs as I flattened myself against the wall of the staircase, trying to slow my thundering heartbeat.

"I see you up there...," a voice said from below. It was hoarse and of high pitch as if an ancient child had not used it in quite some time. In spite of myself, I squeaked and desperately wished I were not awake for the next part of whatever would transpire.

"Miss, there's no point in hiding." Then, in the muted light offered by some faraway torch, something vaguely resembling a lily appeared. Except for the rows upon rows of teeth.

Vampires. Why would I ever have fallen for that, I thought, as darkness and shadow consumed me.