Chapter 8

After having already seen more dead bodies in the last week than ever before in her life, Riley knew visiting a morgue full of them would be less than pleasant. 

Normally she would take a moment, a breath of fresh air. But now she simply turns her brain off and bursts in. Attempting to deal with all the emotions building up has already taken too much out of her, she decides, so it's time to ignore them. Or she'll never get through this. 

The cold white walls in this place remind her of the morning in the hospital after they found Carrie. The bad feeling she had that morning, a feeling she hasn't lost since. The man behind the counter is busily typing on his computer as she approaches. 'Hi, I'm looking for Dr. Morley, the medical examiner.' 

'Do you have an appointment?' 

'No, I was just...' 

'I'm sorry, you can't see the doctor without an appointment.' After quickly shutting her down he looks back at his computer, resuming his work, as if she'd never even been there. 

About to give up as she turns around, she spins back and looks at the man once more. 'Could I just use your bathroom real quick?' 

He looks at her, clearly annoyed. 'The exit is right there, I suggest you leave through it.'

Back outside she turns into the alley on the left side of the building. She can't give up now, there's got to be a way in. 

Behind the building she spots an ambulance. As she carefully peers around the corner she sees two paramedics entering the morgue through a back door, carrying a stretcher. After waiting a few minutes they come back out. Keeping one eye on the slowly closing door, she watches the paramedics get back in the ambulance with the other. 

As soon as they pull the car door shut, she runs for the back door. She manages to grab it just in time, right before it would have fallen to a close. 

Once inside she carefully treads down the hallway until she's suddenly halted by the wall of refrigerators in the room in front of her. With her eyes glued to the wall she slowly pushes through the glass doors. On both sides of her she sees empty metal slabs. This place is as cold and depressing as she had imagined. The idea of possibly ending up here makes her feel more anxious than ever. 

'What are you doing in here?' 

With an anxious jump and a quick spin she finds a woman standing behind her. The long white coat she's wearing bears a name tag that tells Riley this is the medical examiner. 'You can't be in here, you have to leave.' 

As she grabs Riley's arm to pull her away Riley stops her. 'Wait, Dr. Morley. I need to talk to you, my name is Riley Clemens and I...' 

Abruptly releasing Riley's arm the doctor interrupts her. 'Riley Clemens, you're Carrie Clemens' sister.' 

Surprised Riley looks at her distraught face. 'Yes, I am. How do you know me?' 

'I'm the one who found your sister on that highway two months ago.'

Five minutes later Riley is sitting in Dr. Morley's office, cradling a cup of coffee in her hands. The doctor is sitting across the desk, attempting to show her a comforting smile.

'How is your sister?'

'She's... still recovering. She was institutionalized, she's been having a hard time.'

'I understand. I can't imagine what she must have gone through, it's just terrible... But, what brings you here?'

'I've been investigating my sister's kidnapping as well as the murders at my school. I've received threats and I believe I'm being targeted. I need to find out who's behind all this, or neither I nor my friends will be safe.'