Chapter 1

I'm falling down a hole. As I fall, I see my bat, Ares, next to me. "Help me Ares!" I scream as I fall down into the darkness." Why should I? You let The Bane kill me so give me one good reason I shouldn't let you fall to your death" he responds.  "Because I thought the Bane would go for me. I had no idea he intended to kill you. If I knew he would try to go for you, I would have done my attack differently. Please, we're bonds, don't let me fall to my death."  "That was not good enough, Overlander. Goodbye" he purred, then flew away.  

Gregor woke up, gasping for air, drenched with sweat. I need to see Lizzie, Gregor thought. Lizzie could always help Gregor when he was like this. Gregor clicked his tongue and focused in on the clock, trying to get a better look. It read 5:42 AM. Gregor groaned. This is far too early for Lizzie to be awake. "Hey Gorger." A voice at the door said. I turned around and looked at the door. There was Lizzie, with a broad grin on her face. Ever since she had seen that anagram of my name, she had started calling me Gorger, and sometimes even King Gorger. Gregor smiled at her and asked her to come over. Gregor told her about his dream and she told me that everything was going to be okay and that it was just a dream, and if Ares was still alive he would be full of gratitude for all the things Gregor had done for him. He said thanks and told her to tell Mum and Dad when they woke up that he had just gone for a walk to clear his head.

Gregor walked over to Central Park and stared at the entrance to the Underland. Memories flashed through his head, of seeing the cockroach's leg on the snow, not knowing where Boots was, going through there over and over again to have his echolocation lesson with Ripred, being tricked into going to the Underland by Ripred, and saying a final goodbye to Luxa. By the end of it he was crying. Gregor willed himself to stop because he was in a public park, and everyone was staring at him.

On the trip back home, Gregor wondered how Luxa was doing. She was just as fragile as him in a lot of ways, and she didn't have a family to comfort her. She also had the responsibility of being Queen on her shoulders, so she must be feeling just like me, but she was also a lot better at hiding it. Gregor wished he could see her, because it would make them both feel a lot better. 

Gregor woke up the next morning and got changed into his school uniform. He went out into the kitchen and his family was already eating breakfast. "Hello Gre-gor we are eating teggs!" said Boots happily. Teggs was Boots' new name for eggs on toast. Even though five years had passed and Gregor was now technically an adult, Boots still had pretty much the same personality she had when she was two or three.  "Good for you Boots! Do you want a doughnut as well?" "Ye-es!" responded Boots eagerly.  Gregor went over and grabbed a doughnut from the pantry and gave it to his little sister.  He then grabbed his backpack, made some lunch, and headed to school.  On the way to school he passed by Larry and Angelina but decided to ignore them.  he didn't want to be around people at the moment. He didn't even want to be at school. 

Gregor headed to homeroom and ran into Larry and Angelina again. "Hey guys, wassup?" Gregor asked. "Nothing much, you?" responded Larry.  "Just heading to homeroom." 
"Correction, you were heading to homeroom."
The three friends turned around.
"What do you want, Darren?" asked Angelina stiffly. 
"I want Gregor's place in track on Friday" replied Darren.  "And I'm going to have it!"  He thrust his fist in Gregor's direction. But Gregor's rager sense had already taken over him, so he dodged Darren's fist and grabbed his arm.
"Don't mess with me Darren, I know how to fight and if I have to I will."
"Yeah right, nerdy boy Gregor knows how to fight, I'll definitely believe that."
"I'm warning you now, back away from me and my friends or I'll take you out."
But Darren kicked Gregor in the stomach and said "No"
Gregor grunted in frustration and let loose his rager side. 

When he woke up, he was in the principals office, with staff towering over him.
"We're warning you Gregor, if this happens again, then you will have detention for the following month, every day. We have told your parents of the incident that occurred,  and Larry and Angelina's mums have been informed" growled the principal.
"What?!  Why have Larry and Angelina's mums been informed, they did nothing wrong!" I protested. Gregor knew he had got into a fight, but Gregor didn't know why they were in trouble.
"They were there when it happened and Darren said they helped you" the principal responded. Of course Darren had been a jerk and lied about it, he should have realized straight away.

The rest of the day dragged by, but finally the school day was over.  On the way home, Gregor stopped by Central Park and looked at the snow covered entrance to the Underland. Then everything went black.