Chapter 5

Gregor's Mum's POV

"How am I ever going to get out of here?" I think to myself as they dine. I hear them laughing about how helpless I am, and how there's no way for me to escape.  I start by trying to find anything useful in the hole I'm in. I find a piece of weird rock, or maybe metal, then an old needle, and a medicine container with some water in it.  I start trying different things, like rubbing the needle on the medicine, rubbing the rock on the needle, any combination I can think of.  My efforts are interrupted by a rustling noise above.  I look up to see they are lowering down a dish of food, so at least they're not trying to starve me.  I consider saying 'thank you' but decide not to.  I notice the rat looks strangely familiar.  I see a human form crawl over the top of him. "Mum. We're going to get you out" Lizzie whispers.

Luxa's POV

After I have visited Gregor I go in to see Ripred again. "He still hasn't woken up, your Majesty" says the doctor.
"Does he have a heartbeat?" I ask.
"He does, but it is a very slow beat. We might lose him soon" the doctor replies. 
"No! We can't lose him!" I run over and try talking to him, as Gregor once did to me. "Ripred, come on Ripred. Can you hear me?" I ask.
He coughs weakly and groans.  "It would take more than a few cutters to kill me, Luxa" Ripred says in a hoarse voice. 
"Ripred!  You're okay!  I can't believe it.  Look at your stomach" I shout. 
"Don't worry, I assure you, I am fine. If you could just give me some space, and let the doctors do their work, I should be okay" Ripred responds.

Gregor's POV

"Gregor!" Mareth shouts, running through the doors. " Our scouts have sighted something incredible! Your mother has been captured by Solovet!" We need to get to the old rat pit as fast as possible once you have been mended! Then we can rescue your mother!"  I burst out of bed so fast that I'm out the door before anyone can stop me. I run to find Ares when reality kicks in. "Need a lift, Overlander?" a voice purrs.  I instantly jump up and see a bat that has the same glossy fur as... 
"Ares!!!!" I shout excitedly. 
"Not quite, Overlander, but I hope I can replace him. "
"Who are you?" I question. 
"I am Ares' sister, Helen" she says.  "I hope I am good enough to stand in for him.
"Where are we going?" I wonder inside my head.
As if reading my mind, Helen says "I have been asked to deliver you to the High Hall. Sorry if that is not what you wish, but Vikus insisted that I do it."  I groan as we fly into the hall and see Vikus and Nerissa talking.

Lizzie's POV

I climb off the back of Lapblood (that's right, Lapblood!) and get her to jump into the pit.  She can clear the walls of the pit, so she gets my mum on her back, and clears the wall.  She lands right next to me, so I jump on her back and we run away before Solovet wakes up. 

Lapblood's POV
I let Lizzie onto my back and then take off in the direction of Regalia. 

We have been riding for about two hours and we're about halfway to Regalia when I sense a rat nearby.  I tell Lizzie and her mother "hide," and I go and see who it is. I don't recognize the rat, but he seems to know me. "Ah, Lapblood, Lapblood, Lapblood. " The last 'Lapblood' had turned into a sneer. The newcomer seems in an almost relaxed position. All of a sudden he springs at me. 

I was totally unprepared for the attack, and so he got the first hit on me. Luckily, I had pulled out at the last second so it was just a scratch on my back leg. I snarled and lunged at her, and there was a flying of claws and teeth. When we both pulled out, it looked like I was winning, so she retreated. "Twirltongue's the name" she yelled as she ran away. "Twirltongue" I hear Lizzie say. "Isn't she the rat that was encouraging the Bane to be bad?" 
"I'll ask Ripred once we get back" I respond.

Gregor's POV

Once Helen and I touch down, I want to run to Vikus and tell him to let me go find my mum and, and, my sister!  'I need to get out of here now' I think to myself as I dart towards Vikus and Nerissa.
"Hey guys, both members of my family are gone, so can we go now?" I say hurriedly.
"Gregor, alas, no, you cannot leave yet, because, ahhhhh, there is a new prophecy." Vikus says.  A little shamefacedly, he pulls a scroll out from his bag and clears his throat, reading from it somewhat hesitantly at first, but gaining strength as he goes along:

The Prophecy of No Return

 Long sought out the warriors return, 
Give him my blade, for which he must yearn,
Also the dagger belonged to the fallen one,
The harm it shall wrought simply must be done.

Go on the Quest to find the ore, 
Lest there will surely be a war.
Near the tides, but on a shore,
It is there that you must explore.

The Overlander and his soldier friend,
It is them that you must send, 
A Doctor, a Queen, and a Rat must come,
Else the entire Underland will succumb.

The skin of the thought lost people, 
This ore destroys those beings of evil,
If this quest is not quickly completed, 
All that we know shall lie defeated.