Ch. 16 A Fate Worse

"We do not chose what happens to us. Rather, we choose how we deal with what is handed to us."

"Follow Me" Jasmine Thompson

My heart was practically beating out of my chest as I waited for them to come back. I would have been pacing if I could have, and my fingers twitched with the anticipation of what might be coming through that door any second. Would I be able to defend myself, or protect Nightwing if I needed to?

            The answer would arrive soon enough.

            The door flew open, hitting the back wall with a loud bang. Nightwing came tumbling in, shoved inside by one of Savage's goons. He turned to fight the man, but the thug was quick to escape and slam the door closed.

            Nightwing yanked on the metal bars of the door as hard as possible, before stepping back and attempting to shove it open with a quick push of the shoulder. The door wouldn't budge.

            "Gray," I croaked, letting my head fall back against the wall. Gray was here, and for now we were safe, and together.

But my partner continued to try and fight his way through the door. I noticed he was cuffed too, so there was no way to possibly pick the lock.

"Gray," I said.

Still, he persisted.

"Dick!" I screamed.

He turned to me. His domino mask was covering his eyes, but I knew they were filled with a whirlwind of emotion. I'd had enough missions with him as Nightwing to be able to tell what his eyes were saying underneath the mask. I missed you. I'm glad you're okay. I love you. He rushed to my side, quick to take in my current state.

His cuffed hands stilled in the air as his eyes roamed by body, assessing my injuries. Overwhelmed with the amount he saw, Gray lifted his hands to my face, delicately cupping my cheeks with his gloved hands. I leaned into the warm embrace and sighed. How I'd missed his tender touch.

While he'd been taking in my wounds, I'd been analyzing him too. Several spots of his armor had been torn and were bleeding, and there was a large bruise forming on his shoulder where the skin had been exposed. But minus those wounds, some ruffled hair, and a split lip, he looked okay.

"Hey, jailbird," I murmured, raising a quivering hand to touch his cheek. It was rough with stubble. I love you too, I told him, my own eyes filled with a whirlwind of emotions. I love you. Gray smiled back at me. Even in captivity, he knew how to make my heart flutter.

"Been saving that one?"

I nodded. "For a while now."

Slowly, he bent forward to press a light kiss to my hairline.

God, I wish we'd reunited under better circumstances. And definitely not when I haven't showered in thirteen days and probably look like hell.

"We're gonna get out of here, Del." He said, pulling away. His hands fell from my face so he could look at his cuffs. A thin metal wire extended from the finger of his glove, and he began to pick the lock with it. Within moments, the cuffs fell off and Gray's lips perked up into a slick smile.