Ch. 19 Take a Life

"So crawl on my belly 'til the sun goes down. I'll never wear your broken crown. I can take the road and I can fuck it all the way. But in this twilight, our choices seal our fate." –"Broken Crown," Mumford & Sons

"Take A Life With Me" Tree Adams, Julia Dominczak
Bonnie Wright as M'Gann Morzz/Miss Martian

"Take A Life With Me" Tree Adams, Julia DominczakBonnie Wright as M'Gann Morzz/Miss Martian

Delmira Najia Queen. First known to the world as Wild Flower. Now known as the savior of Earth's creatures.

I fell to my knees, grasping at the dark blade. The dagger had entered from my back, and I fumbled to reach for the hilt.

"Don't pull it out. Don't pull it out," Flash instructed, rushing to my side. He held onto me, slowly lowering us to the ground. He held me in his lap in a way to prevent the blade from going further into my abdomen. Nightwing and the others weren't far behind him.

Slowly, Flash handed me over to Nightwing, a concerned look passing between them before Nightwing's masked eyes fell to me.

"Gray, I'm so sorry," I sobbed, tears building in my eyes. "S-so sorry."

Nightwing hushed me softly. His brows drew together and his lower lip trembled. "We're going to get you help. You're going to be okay," he said, cradling my body closer to his in a tender embrace. I could feel his body trembling too and I tried to be brave, but the fear was rushing in.

"G-gray. I'm scared." I choked on my words as I saw Red Hood walk out of the Bioship. He quickly rushed over to us and fell at my side, across from Nightwing. M'Gann stood behind Nightwing, holding onto Wally for dear life. He had tears in his apple green eyes and they threatened to spill over. Shifter stood a few feet away from them, silver tears sparkling against their pale face, and their bones riddled with guilt.

"M'Gann."

The White Martian's copper eyes connected with mine.

"When I'm gone—"

"You won't be gone. Del—"

"M'Gann, please," I begged, my eyes softening. My friend nodded slowly in understanding.

"When I'm gone, I need you to watch out for Kobay. They're gonna have a lot of grief over this, but remind them that it's not their fault. Remind them—" I winced as another jab of pain went through me. "Tell them that I was proud of them, okay?"

M'Gann nodded firmly, her eyes connecting with mine, and her jaw set. "I promise."

"Rule #38 of crimefighting," I joked, turning to Red as I recalled his old rules. "Always check your enemy for weapons." Even without looking back, I knew Savage was the one to use the dagger.

Jason slowly took off his red helmet, and a small smile played at my quivering crimson lips. He still wore the emerald domino mask underneath. Old habits die hard, I guess.