There is no point (Part one)

Alas, that sentiment certainly hold true for this chapter as nothing actually happens in it. Arthur complains about his day, does nothing remotely relevant to the plot and proves himself to be an even viler individual than we already knew he was. I can't fathom why this chapter is here other than to up the books word count but given I felt that way about most of the prologue I'm not entirely surprised.

On the bright side we do get a little more of a setting for the story as the first real chapter opens with Arthur whining about his room:

My house is a two story cliché suburban abomination. My room is painted white, like every other room in the entire godamn country.

One might almost think that Arthur doesn't like his room from reading this, how surprising. I'm not going to bother feeling sorry for him at any rate given his house sounds quite nice. He lives in what seems to be a fairly large house in a good neighbourhood- would he rather live in a tiny apartment in an impovished area of town? As someone who lived in a house that wasn't bad but was small, not well insulated and had mice every winter growing up then moved into a much better house less an a year ago,I find him pretty spoiled. Living in a house like the one Arthur describes is privilege that a lot of people don't have. The fact the he describes it as an "abomination" just speaks to the fact that he's probably never had to face any real hardship in life.

I don't think there's much to say on his room being white. I personally don't know anyone who's room is painted white, but I'm not American so It's not something I have much context for. Arthur would probably find a reason to hate it even if wasn't a common thing.

My father doesn't allow me to tack posters directly to my walls so my room is lined with massive picture frames containing my morbid and gothic posters within.

Considering how rude Arthur was about his father in the introduction I was quite surprised by this. Frames, particularly larger ones, are expensive so the fact that he was willing to buy them to give his son a way to put up his posters without damaging the walls is incredibly generous. Given the walls are 'lined' with them, there are clearly a lot of frames too: meaning he would likely have been forking out a serious amount of money for this. Far from Arthur's claims that his father 'intentionally' ignores his issues, it seems like he's came up with an innovative solution that allows his son to put up the posters he loves in a way that won't reduce the value of their house, should they ever need to sell it. I definitely like Arthur's father than I like Arthur himself based on this line alone. He actually solves problems and isn't a massive prick.

What I don't like here is the writing. Reading that sentence out loud clearly sounds wrong and I actually had to go over it twice as the first time I was too distracted by the structure to comprehend what it actually meant. The descriptions of his posters are quite bland too- what would be considered 'morbid' is very much a matter of opinion and 'gothic' isn't useful either without further context given.

I was sleeping in my annoyingly well lit room early in the morning, when my father Jerry woke me up to go to school.

This...doesn't flow from the last paragraph. We've been given one chunk of information in the first paragraph then given another very loosely related chunk of information here. It would have been much better to have this as the chapter opening and find a way to weave the description (in very generous terms) of Arthur's room in later.

It was the same old routine. After the usual vegetarian breakfast he forced me to eat (he had nothing but fake meat, fake milk and vegetables in the fridge at all times) we were off to school.

Given most vegetarians drink milk; I suspect Arthur meant vegan rather than vegetarian.

Jerry drives me to school because he insists he loves me and I quote "No Lindfelt family member will ever ride a yellow bus" as if he's a hero.