Chapter 19: Pappu Can't Dance Saala

Khushi was arguing with the carpenters over the quote they had given her. They were on the very tiny first floor of Tewari & Sons. This floor was originally envisaged as the office of the shop. At least that is how Mahesh Tewari used it. But then, Mahesh Tewari who had other business interests including running a cricket betting racket on the side, needed the privacy away from the main store. There was a small wall-mounted TV to track match progress and soundproofing to talk with bookies. However, once Khushi took over the shop, she seldom used it as an office. There was not enough business and orders for them to have this office anyway. So it began to be used more as a storeroom for all the ingredients they needed to make mithais. But now Khushi had decided to turn the floor into an extension of the store and add about five tables there. She had as part of her full and final settlement from Joseph's got some money and she had decided to invest that into Tewari & Sons. She had expected that Maa and Baba would not approve of this, in what they believed to be investing their scarce money into a lost cause. But surprisingly, they were rather supportive of this decision of hers. The return of Shyam had infused a feeling of a do-over among her parents. Perhaps Maa was still cautious, but Baba was back to his former self of dreams and hopes for a better future for all of them. Of course, as Faisal Bhaii and she pored over the accounts each day, they realised that the business of Tewari & Sons had seen a further fall in the last few weeks. That the Guptas had taken over Shekhawat was something that they expected to have repercussions. They were murmurs about police complaints, sexual assault and various conjectures in the neighbourhood. Even though everybody knew everybody's business in Chandni Chowk, a semblance of politeness was maintained too, so nobody asked direct questions. But Maa had told her that there were speculations and some subtle indications that the neighbourhood had begun to distance themselves from the Guptas. But nothing too drastic to worry about. Probably the next scandal is what was needed for people to focus their speculations elsewhere. But inspite of the falling business, Khushi decided that Tewari & Sons needed a do-over.

The hooligans who had come one night and damaged the shop had in a way done her good. Because of them they had redone the interiors and the place had a better look about it. The earlier dreariness was gone with a bright yellow coat of paint that the walls were given. However, she realised that everyone took you less seriously when you were a woman. Especially when the subject was traditional male bastion like carpentry and painting. This explained why she was given a huge quote, way above the market cost for the first floor renovation. When Khushi tried to argue with the carpenters they gave her the "Sir, nahin hai kya?" There were no sirs. She found herself caught at some place between amusement and annoyance.

"Khushi, phone hai aapka?" Faisal Bhaii interrupted her thoughts as he yelled from the ground floor.

She climbed down the steep, spiral staircase making a mental note to get a quote for making the access to the first floor a little easier. She also wondered who was calling her on her landline.

"Kiska phone hai, Faisal Bhaii," she asked as she reached the bottom of the stairs.

"Woh ladka," Faisal Bhaii said.

Khushi suppressed a smile. That had become how Faisal Bhaii referred to Arnav. Woh ladka. That boy. Arnav had called her last night but she couldn't take the call because there was a serious discussion at home about what Shyam should be doing. She had meant to return his call but it was too late.

"Arnav, sorry, I couldn't speak to you last night... woh ghar mein khoobh drama chal raha tha. As usual, of course."

"Kaisa drama?" the voice at the other end said. The voice sounded amused. And it was not Arnav.

"Hello.. woh.. I am sorry."

"Sorry to disappoint you, Dhanno. It is just me. But no fair that I don't get to hear about the exciting stories about the drama in your life. Mujhe bhi toh batao."