chapter eleven

Ali tossed the tie over his neck as he tied the knot delicately. He took one final look in the mirror before he headed to work.

He rushed down the stairs, but he halted at the end of the steps as he heard a distant crying noise.

He walked all the way down and then realized the sound was coming from Anaya's room. He looked at his watch and realized he was getting late, so he ignored it and left the house. As soon as he arrived, he began to work.

He attended three meetings to discuss revenue, new openings, construction costs, and new locations. He made the final calls and told everyone what to do and how to do it, and then signed every classified document, and contracts after reading through them.

Eight hours later, and it was three in the afternoon. Ali got off work and got into his car, as John drove him back home.

"You're father called, saying you haven't picked up his calls, asking me where you were," John said

Ali leaned back and sighed knowing what his father was calling about. he had put it aside for too long and had to do something about it. He took out his phone and dialed his father's number.

"Hello, Father," Ali said.

"Why haven't you made your move yet?" His father said, sternly

"Is Qadeer dead?" Ali asked.

"I shot that bastard the moment I saw him, make your damn move son."

Ali ended the call without saying anything else.

"John I need you to prepare a marriage license right away," Ali said.

John nodded at him, turning the car into the driveway, as Ali left the car.

Ali wasn't stressed. He didn't feel anything, as the marriage was going to be meaningless. All he needed was to marry her so he could take everything her family had. He planned on espousing her without even letting her find out and living his life exactly the way he is now.

It was a mere piece of paper that would give him the Qadeerul mafia, including all their workers, assets, money, and produce.  Ali sat in his study, as he poured himself a cup of whiskey. He leaned back into his chair, as he sipped his exhaustion away.

Not even thirty minutes later, John knocked to come into his study. As he came in with a file, he put it on Ali's desk.

"It's been signed by a government official, it just needs your name and signature," John said,

Ali grabbed the sleek pen from his chest pocket and wrote down his name and signed the form quickly. He took the paper of where Anaya would have to sign and folded the top half, so the title wasn't visible.

"Get her signature, don't let her see the form." He said.

"Yes sir," John said, leaving the office.

John knocked on Anaya's door twice- not hearing any response, he unlocked the door and went in. Anaya sat on the edge of her bed, staring at the wall noiselessly.

"You need to sign this," John said,

She looked at him, with no energy in her. She stood up and walked over to him. Putting her hand out to see the paper.

"Sign it," John said, not giving her the paper but rather holding it out for her.

"What is it?" She asked.

"All you have to do is sign it," He said, in a professional tone. He talked as if he had been programmed to say only a few things at a time.

"I am not an idiot, whatever it is you need to tell before I sign." She spoke, surprised at herself that she had enough strength to speak up.