Chapter 4

5 years back

Ding, You've got a notification

I open my eyes full of sleep, grab my phone that was kept on the side table. 16 notifications. 3 missed calls

I slide open my phone. 'Boss'

GET OUT OF YOUR APARTMENT

HE IS COMING FOR YOU

LUCY MEET ME IN VOLCAN'S 3RD STREET UP FRONT NOW!

DON'T TAKE YOUR CAR

My eyes widened. I jumped out of my bed. Grabbed my jacket, picked up my mattress and took my gun from underneath it -

Footsteps, I hear footsteps down stairs. My breath getting heavy in my lungs. I rush into the attached bathroom. Focus, Lucy focus. I grabbed a broom and locked the door for more resistance. I looked around. A small bathroom window up above the bath tub. I took a stool from below the sink and placed it on the tub. Stood up on the stool. my fingers barely touching the window. I need something more. Ugh!

"Where are you?" the voice was closer to my bedroom. "It's all your fault, Lucy." His voice playful, as if he is talking to a child. "Carter is deaaaad because of youuuu" He roared

I felt a stone choking in my throat. Cart..er Carter.. is dead. I could feel the shivers run up to my body as if I was electrocuted. The current danced on my spine and spread to my limbs.

I let my lungs fill with air, tried to think, my mind froze just like my entire body. I looked up to the small window. tried to reach my hand again, I jumped a little to get a hold of the railing. i got the hold and pulled myself up.

The stool beneath my feet slid and fell. I froze, my head turned to the bathroom door. Someone was trying to barge into the bathroom. I pulled myself up, my hands dug deep into the railing. i put one of my feet out following the other in the same manner.

THUF! The bathroom door flung open breaking whatever resistance was holding it. The eyes followed, the man snarled "You will not get away" I pushed myself with pressure, my head hit the frame of the window above and i fell down on the grass below, i rolled on my back and standing up. I rushed towards the main street. i ran with all the force.

At times like these i wished to myself- if i had vampire speed, or witch magic or if i could vanish into thin air. But i had nothing, a human with no powers, with no majesty, nothing that could help me in times like these. Nothing but my own self. No one but myself knew the importance of life, my own life. I always wanted to die, i was a nobody, no one knew me. i had no majesty. Just another soul born to die. Only i could value myself, me alone.

Present Time

The sound of a siren woke me up. i looked at my clock- 3 am.

Sometimes when you're dancing on the edge of the world, you forget the risk of falling.

i looked at the window, red blue colors flashing and people's screams, drawing me out of my bed slowly with boring eyes. The colours dancing out in the entire street. i Look at the scene.

Three bodies. Blood. People surrounding the scene. Some crying. Eyes filled with horror. Police and forensic had arrived at the scene.

"Where am i?" i spoke to myself. i looked around, to my left-a table. A lamp, familiar lamp of a servant bending down before his master. Slowly my senses awaken. I look back out of the window. All eyes on me. Someone yelled, "Catch him!"